How do I boost my AM/FM signal on my receiver?

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
?

I dont get very good reception on my receiver((Pioneer D498)its in the basement), I was wondering how I could improve my signal so I could get more stations...I just got everything set up, but i hardly get any stations... I know being in the basement doesn't help, but what can I do to fix this?

More speficially i'm trying to get an AM station which carries Steeler games, so I can listen to Myron Cope during Steeler telecasts... other radio stations I don't give 2 craps about, but this one is crucial. Anything I can do to boost the signal?

xirtam

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2001
Open it up and short out all the resistors.

Er... buy a better antenna, like MichaelD suggested. Radioshack also has devices designed to boost radio signals, but I haven't found them to be all that effective.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: xirtam
Open it up and short out all the resistors.

Er... buy a better antenna, like MichaelD suggested. Radioshack also has devices designed to boost radio signals, but I haven't found them to be all that effective.

Yup. The "signal booster" that Radio Smack sells is hopelessly old-tech. It was da'schiznitz 30 years ago, but now it's just way-old-tech.

Terk makes high-quality antennas that have noise reduction circuitry insides...I love mine...and I paid $60 for it...it sells for $40 now. :(

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Can I pick one of these up at any electronics store? I need to go anyway because I need an S-Video cable.