How do I become a MLB fan?

bladder23

Banned
Jun 28, 2007
It's going to be another 4 months before the start of the NBA season and , I have made the decision to become a MLB (Blue Jays) fan. :D I have already tried this and failed 2 years ago because I felt it was too slow of a game.

Unlike the NBA, there are games like 5 times a week so this should be pretty entertaining.

This should be a good time. The season is nearing its end and the playoffs are coming up.

Now I just need somewhere to start. I am familiar with basic MLB stuff but i would like to know more. Is there like a guide to the MLB (terms etc) for noobs?

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
being at the stadium is far better than watching a complete game at home. i always enjoy the fans and events at the stadium.

SludgeFactory

Platinum Member
Sep 14, 2001
Go to games with somebody who's a big baseball fan and will explain things to you when they happen. It doesn't have to be major league games.

Might be better if it's not a major league game actually :p

ric1287

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2005
kinda hard to start being a fan 2/3 into the season with a crappy team :) Cheer on the big hurt and doc holliday.

mooglemania85

Diamond Member
May 3, 2007
Meh, just wait for the MLB playoffs.

Better to get excited about the NFL! Season kicks off Thursday, Sep. 6!

rocadelpunk

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
start going to triple a games for dime a dog night

then start going with friends to big stadium games

most importantly...play fantasy baseball

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
play baseball.

Join a league with friends, or just go to batting cages, throw a ball around, try to do what the pros do.

AFter failing miserably to be even adept at the basics of the sport (and likely you will be) you'll really appreciate the pros. Routine double play won't seem so easy after you try to get a single person out when they hit the ball right to you and you have to throw to first.

Playmaker

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Skeeedunt
Lobotomy.

I would think the fast-paced, mindless action of an NFL or (especially) an NBA game would be more conducive to an individual with below average intelligence.

Baseball, on the other hand, has strategies and intricacies that those who never played the game would have difficulty understanding. In addition, with baseball, the treatment of the game by Bill James, et al., allows it to appeal to a more intelligent fan than most other sports.

To the OP, too late for this season, but try fantasy baseball next year. If you're a competitive person, becoming a knowledgeable MLB fan would be inevitable.

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
HDTV and beer.

I used to hate baseball, now I actaually watch it on occasion.

Chiboy

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2002
If you want to be a Blue Jays fan, find out about some classic games that involved the Blue Jays & watch them... If you get into great, if not you will never be a fan.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Two Words:

Fantasy Baseball.

Get on it and you'll be hooked. Don't say I didn't warn you.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
How do you enjoy baseball?

With lots of beer and lots of friends. Especially if you have two clubs in your city.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
You don't...you watch highlights on SC because there's nothing else on and you patiently await college and pro football.

PRESEASON STARTS TOMORROW. (go...Lions?)

bladder23

Banned
Jun 28, 2007
Originally posted by: Playmaker
Lobotomy.

I would think the fast-paced, mindless action of an NFL or (especially) an NBA game would be more conducive to an individual with below average intelligence.

Baseball, on the other hand, has strategies and intricacies that those who never played the game would have difficulty understanding. In addition, with baseball, the treatment of the game by Bill James, et al., allows it to appeal to a more intelligent fan than most other sports.

To the OP, too late for this season, but try fantasy baseball next year. If you're a competitive person, becoming a knowledgeable MLB fan would be inevitable.

I dont really see how theres any strategy in baseball.

On offense, you try to hit the ball

On d, just strike out/get the person out

but the nba on the other hand...

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Originally posted by: bladder23
Lobotomy.

no baseball is awesome because players and coaches do sign language to communicate to each other (ie pinch nose, bite thumb, wiggle ears, etc)

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Lobotomy.

:roll:

<stupid counter-argument>I don't see how there is any strategy in basketball. On offense you try to score. On defense you try to stop them from scoring.</stupid counter-argument>

Baseball is full of strategy. The hundreds of thousands of statistics collected during each and every game play a factor in deciding how to approach certain players or certain games. Some better-known strategies:

Suicide squeeze, hit and run, steal, pitch out, sacrifice bunts, sacrifice flies, where to position fielders based on the batter's statistics, how to attack certain batters, when to pull your starting pitcher for relievers, when to use a pinch hitter, when to use a pinch runner, and even who should cover what base depending on where the ball goes.

Playmaker

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Originally posted by: BlinderBomber
Lobotomy.

:roll:

<stupid counter-argument>I don't see how there is any strategy in basketball. On offense you try to score. On defense you try to stop them from scoring.</stupid counter-argument>

Baseball is full of strategy. The hundreds of thousands of statistics collected during each and every game play a factor in deciding how to approach certain players or certain games. Some better-known strategies:

Suicide squeeze, hit and run, steal, pitch out, sacrifice bunts, sacrifice flies, where to position fielders based on the batter's statistics, how to attack certain batters, when to pull your starting pitcher for relievers, when to use a pinch hitter, when to use a pinch runner, and even who should cover what base depending on where the ball goes.

Exactly. Baseball is just so much more interesting from a statistical standpoint. Every aspect of every play can have an expected value as far as runs are concerned. The ability to value both players and strategies with this methodology, from identifying inefficiencies to be exploited and how they should affect decision-making, puts baseball on a whole different level as far as intellectual appeal.