How do I avoid getting scammed?

enwar3

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2005
This is going to be a person-to-person transaction. I'm going to send him money through PayPal, he's going to send me my item. I realize that this is going to be mainly a honor system dealie, but I want to take every precaution possible. What kind of information should I get from him? Should I ask for delivery confirmation or a tracking number or whatever it is USPS offers?

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
Does the guy have heatware or eBay feedback? You could ask him to ship using UPS or Fedex as they provide better tracking than USPS. If he's going to send via USPS, I guess delivery confirmation should be standard - it's only like $.65 more.

enwar3

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2005
Nope... we're both high schoolers lol. What exactly does delivery confirmation do? Do I get a number to track? Or he gets a number to see when I get it? (I don't see the use of the latter)

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
If it's on honor, then I think he should give you the item first.

The value of an item is more eaisly replaced than cold hard cash.

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
Originally posted by: enwar3
Nope... we're both high schoolers lol. What exactly does delivery confirmation do? Do I get a number to track? Or he gets a number to see when I get it? (I don't see the use of the latter)

Delivery confirmation for USPS just tells you when it's shipped, in transmit, and when it's delivered. Yes, he receives a number that you can use to track through usps.com

jackace

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2004
If its a large enough item you could get an intermediary involved. Not sure if thats the official name, but you send them the money once they get the money they inform the seller and he ships the item. Once you receive the item and confirm its as described you release the money. They can be costly though so not sure if its an option for you.

enwar3

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2005
It's called an escrow I think...

And it's just a 70 dollar item.... I think I trust this guy. Just want to be reassured a bit...

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
If they use USPS, make sure the item is insured.

That will require a signature on your end to get the item.
Using Paypal ensures that have some control on the payment.

A USPS money order mailed to them would be the next best - in case of fraud, the government may provide some leverage.