How do/did you like your school life?

rominl

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Nov 2, 2000
I am wondering how you guys feel about your school.

I am a graduate student now in Electrical Engineering, specialized in Computer Engineering and Embedded Systems. Seriously, I don't really like it. It's a two year program, and I have finished all my required courses, so now it's time to focus on my research. However, I don't really like my research. It is no where funny or exciting. In fact, it's more like a mechanical work where a college graduate can handle...

Nonetheless my advisor is not good at all. The help she gave me is probably less than the help I gave her about PC computers. Every time I go and ask her something, her replies are, &quot;hmm, ask some other students&quot; &quot;read the help&quot; &quot;try to go to the tool's homepage and search&quot; I mean, if I could ask someone else or find it somewhere else, I would have done that. And if you have next to no idea what i have to do and how, then why the hell did you ask me to do it in the first place?!

In terms of computer, it sux... As some of you knows, most EE CAD tools run on Unix, so every time i come back to school I will have to sit in front of this Ultrasparc 10 300mhz with 1gb ram. DO NOT even try to say this is good. Even my 533 with 256mb ram at home runs more smoothly than this thing here. Not to mention the fact that netscape and ie suck on this machine.

So my hope is to get out of school asap, which is this June or July hopefully. Crap, can't stand this anymore....

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I hated all of my 12 years at school. Then I disliked intensely my 4 years at university. I then disliked my 1 year technical college diploma thing I did afterwards. Each time I changed I disliked it less and less, but ultimately I hated school. It was so &quot;pointless&quot; and abstract. I like things that are means to an end.

Anyway that said the more time you put into school and the better grades you get the happier you'll be in the future - Really.

Oct 9, 1999
some of my best moments were in High School.. however I love my school life. It was the best part of my life and is what that has shaped me that I am today.

However it wasnt only HS that I remember, I still remember the years before that, but HS is special since I truly became &quot;The Silent Mischief Maker&quot;.

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
I was in the same predicament as you are now.. Started college right after high school thinking I wanted to be a Network Engineer. Two years later realized I hated it.. So I dropped out and did somthin I liked.. I may make a little less now but it is definitely worth it.. Why do something you don't like?

rominl

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Nov 2, 2000
well, i liked my high school life. it was so much fun and i really enjoyed it. even my ugrad was ok, it was interesting (at least that was the first time i got in touch with EE stuff). but grad school is a nightmare for me.

seriously, i think education is good, and i believe it is a good preparation for your future. no, i am not talking about what you study. my experience tells me that a lot of people doesn't work on what they studied in college anyway. but i think it's a good preparation for you to know how to think and how to solve problems.

and that's exactly when i don't like my grad school. coz' i am not like trying to learn how to think. it's more like trying to know how important my paper is going to be.... damnit.... i guess my paper means more than me to my advisor...