How do Canadians sound like?

Zero In

Oct 11, 1999
DO they have their own accent or they sound like Americans? Or British perhaps?

DesignDawg

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Damn Canadians. RSI, get in here and let us all know that Canadians don't have an accent. :) Tell us all aboat it.

Ricky
DesignDawg

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Every American I've talked to has said I have no accent whatsoever....which means I just sound like a "regular american" i guess.

now, RSI is a quebecer....so he's probably got quite the accent on him ;)

Regine

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2000
What movie or show was it where they kept making the Canadian representative say "about"?
I can't remember now, but it sure was hilarious ;)

Dean

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
I pronounce certain words which people believe contains a Nova Scotian accent. It isn't a different accent though, its really a different pronounciation. Like i'll say "out" or "about", but to others it sounds like "oat" and "aboat"

other than those two words nobody can tell the difference ;)

GL

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
From B.C. to Ontario, everybody pretty much sounds like an American. Quebecers have, of course, a more French-like accent (although it is signature Quebecois;) ). The Maritime provinces have a sort of Irish-like accent...kind of subtle (it seems to be more-so in Newfoundland, and less Irish-like in the other provinces).

-GL

SexEPid

Platinum Member
Aug 1, 2000
toolgirl,
I think you are talking about South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut

Great Movie :)

Pid, TYRP

Regine

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2000
Yeah, that's what I thought, but I didn't know for sure. Loved that movie!!! ;)

Zucchini

Banned
Dec 10, 1999
I moved here from canada 10 years ago. All i remember is that my US friend noticed that i said "a-gain" instead of "agen" like they did. I'm not sure if thats a canadien thing or just me heh.

YamahaGPR

Oct 5, 2000
Guy I work with is Canadian.. he cracks me up some days when every other word is EH?? :D He says "aboot" too..

noxipoo

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2000
i was oot and aboot in toronto last new years and they didn't sound that much different eh?

toph99

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2000
i'm from ontario, and as far as i know, except for the occasional 'eh' i speek without much of an accent ;)

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
everyone has an accent.

and canadians have their own varied accents.

wtf is the american accent... have you ever been to new york, boise, boston (all parts), portland, springfield...

and even england have their different accents...

duh...

zero in, your question makes no sense... ;-)

ultravox

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
at least we pronounce roof correctly as opposed to saying ruff.....now if we could only get rid of those extra letters in colour and flavour.......;)

Jonny

Golden Member
Oct 26, 1999
I don't sound any different than ya'll. ;)

And the whole "eh?" thing....its not really as bad as you think. :)

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
oh yeah, that's right...the ladies better take caution. Our sexy voices will have you wrapped around our fingers. ;)

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
I have a part canadian friend that says "eh", "aboot", and she pronounces vodka funny. Those wacky canadians rule...

Dameon

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
Canadians:

Z is not ZED. There's ONE letter there, Z. Pronounced Zeeeeee.

ay is another of their aggrivating colloquialisms.

Two instant giveways when I take support calls they're from Canadia....