How Do Campagin Donations Work?

NakaNaka

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
I know that the most anyone can give is $2000. Now, is that the limit just up until the nominating convention? Can you give another $2000 after? Can you give more? Thanks

-Phil

NakaNaka

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
That sucks. The Dems should put some type of cap on how much a candidate can not raise, but spend in a primary, so that they will have enough money come the general election. Say to all candidates, can't spend more than $30 million before April 1, so the party is stronger come the nominating convention and the November election.

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
Well not really. The money raised now can only be used during the primary season. After each party's convention, the candidate will be eligible for $75 million in federal funds for the general election. Both candidates will accept this and thus be on an equal playing field. Neither candidate can use any of the money they raised previous to the convention for post-convention activities.

NakaNaka

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
Ok - just talked to some people with the Dean campagin. You can give another 2K after the primary. However, there is a limit for the general and once they reach that limit, then they recieve matching funds.

Gravity

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2003
Originally posted by: NakaNaka
Ok - just talked to some people with the Dean campagin. You can give another 2K after the primary. However, there is a limit for the general and once they reach that limit, then they recieve matching funds.

I thought dean opted out of the matching funds? Doesn't this increase the amount he can spend? They are gonna spend sooooo much money in the next 12 months that it's obscene. Any idea how much food we could supply to third/fourth world countries with these monies. As an American, that's embarrasing to me!!

Gravity

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Gravity
Originally posted by: NakaNaka

I thought dean opted out of the matching funds? Doesn't this increase the amount he can spend? They are gonna spend sooooo much money in the next 12 months that it's obscene. Any idea how much food we could supply to third/fourth world countries with these monies. As an American, that's embarrasing to me!!

Gravity

Hmm. I'm "with" the Dean campaign and I don't think what Naka is saying is correct. Who did you speak to Naka? I may be wrong but I was under the impression that it was $2000 per election cycle, per candidate. The primary/general election seasons didn't matter.

Gravity, opting out increases the amount he can raise then spend to over $45 million for the primary season alone. It doesn't affect the amount he can raise from individuals, which is still capped at $2000 per head. My prediction is that he'll raise and spend around $70 million before the convention (the official end of the primary season). After the primary season ends, the nominees aren't allowed to spend a dime of the money they're raising right now. That means Bush will have to spend all the $200+ million he plans to raise before the first week of September, Dean will have to spend whatever he raises before the last week in July.

When the general election begins, the nominees will be given $75 million in federal funds that they WILL NOT forego.

I'm sorry that you think that this amount of money is obscene, but its the harsh reality of our federal campaign system. I suggest if you think its embarrasing then you stand up for what you believe in and join organizations or campaigns dedicated to true campaign finance reform. See my post in the other thread about Dean's financing to see the link for how he plans to fix the problem if elected President.

Or if you're worried about world hunger, start with the hunger near you and volunteer at your local soup kitchen, which I do every Saturday. :) And for future reference, I'm not quite sure if any countries are considered "fourth world". ;)