How do all you Hackintosh (or even apple people) flash firmware?

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
What firmware are you looking to flash? The only thing PC owners usually end up flashing are mobos, and the good mobos have come with built-in flashing utilities for a few years now.

scootermaster

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 2005
Originally posted by: ViRGE
What firmware are you looking to flash? The only thing PC owners usually end up flashing are mobos, and the good mobos have come with built-in flashing utilities for a few years now.

Oh?

I've got a Gigabyte DS3L mobo and a Samsung S223 DVD Burner I'd like to flash. Best I can tell, both of these have .EXE files to flash them. Am I missing something?

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: scootermaster

Oh?

I've got a Gigabyte DS3L mobo and a Samsung S223 DVD Burner I'd like to flash. Best I can tell, both of these have .EXE files to flash them. Am I missing something?

You can try the direct-connect feature in VMware, I guess. I believe that gives 1:1 control of the DVD-ROM drive, so it might work that way.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999

Oh?

For the DVD burner you're probably out of luck (although I'm left wondering why you're flashing a DVD burner). As for the mobo, look for the section labeled Q-Flash in your manual. It's the mobo's built-in flashing program, you just have to supply it with a BIOS file from a USB drive.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004

Oh?

For the DVD burner you're probably out of luck (although I'm left wondering why you're flashing a DVD burner). As for the mobo, look for the section labeled Q-Flash in your manual. It's the mobo's built-in flashing program, you just have to supply it with a BIOS file from a USB drive.

Back in the day I flashed a DVD burner to give me dual layer and double speed capabilities that were on a newer, more expensive burner. But that was '04.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
SH-S223B
SH-S223C
SH-S223F
SH-S223L
SH-S223Q
http://www.station-drivers.com/page/samsung.htm
Taking SH-S223Q as an example:
the file "SH-S223Q_SB03.exe" is a compressed file containing 2 files:
"SH-S223Q_SB03.bin" (the firmware) & "Tsdnwin.exe" (the Windows flasher).
The DOS flasher (can be found via Google search) is: "sfdndosv.exe".
The above mentioned web site has DOS mode flashing instructions, in the sidebar at the right.
You'd need a Windows machine to prepare a bootable USB flash drive, that you'd boot to a DOS prompt, and flash the Samsung firmware.

scootermaster

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 2005
Thanks everyone. Totally brainfarted the mobo thing. Flashed it just fine, except the F9 bios did something wonky with the fan, making it louder, so I went back to F7. Too bad.

As for the DVD drive, there are a couple of reasons to flash it, and I'll look into the bootable USB stick thingamagig.

I actually wouldn't mind having a WinXP bootable USB stick. I've got a hackintosh install now (obviously) but I want to rip my CD collection, and people say EAC is still the best for that. I wonder if that'd work...seems like a waste to devote an entire HD to winXP just to rip 200 CDs (and even then it'd be tricky, since I only have 2 HDs...trying to figure out how to store all the stuff on one HD and then somehow retrieve it from my hack when I was done with Windows)