How difficult is it to learn MS Access?

screw3d

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I am not sure if I should put it as part of my resume since I'm not sure if I know enough about it.

I have experience building web apps using MySQL.. so I'm thinking that if I know databases, I shouldn't have any problems with Access' interface right?

Nov 5, 2001
hmmmm...you don't really know it so that would be lying.

I messed around with it for a few weeks writing a DB for work and it was tricky, but then aga I'm not a software engineer or code writer.

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
Mostly. Access has some interesting limitations, particularly when you're running queries with complex formulas, and it's key to know how to get around them. But it's nothing amazingly difficult. I picked up everything I needed to know about it for my current job in 4 days.

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
its not hard, just get a good reference book, and carry it around with you :)

screw3d

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
hmmmm...you don't really know it so that would be lying.

I messed around with it for a few weeks writing a DB for work and it was tricky, but then aga I'm not a software engineer or code writer.

That's what I thought, but I figured that I'm a fast learner, and MS' products don't really need Einsteins to master so I can probably pick up Access in a few days :D

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
I use MS SQL Server and write sql queries daily. I still get screwed up writing queries for access because of the damn syntax.

Is Access a requirement for this position? Some employers think knowing access also encompasses knowing how to program VBA in access as well.

DBL

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Well, I got my current job by agreeing to do an EDI translation program in Access. This later turned into a full-time position. I had very limited experience at the time. A short visit to B&N and one Access 97 book and about 10-20 hours of reading and practice is all it took to be reasonably proficient in Access. I'm assuming of course, that you understand relational databases and related concepts. In fact, understanding the EDI was the hard part, as I had zero knowledge of it at the time.

Either way, I wouldn't put in on my resume w/o at least buying a book and a bit of practice. Understanding Access really well, which involves knowledge of relational databases, VBA and most likely MS SQL Server takes a long time.

screw3d

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Originally posted by: bunker
I use MS SQL Server and write sql queries daily. I still get screwed up writing queries for access because of the damn syntax.

Is Access a requirement for this position? Some employers think knowing access also encompasses knowing how to program VBA in access as well.

It's a student position, and from what I see in the job description, it's not a main part of the job and so it shouldn't be too important to know Access.

screw3d

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Originally posted by: DBL
Well, I got my current job by agreeing to do an EDI translation program in Access. This later turned into a full-time position. I had very limited experience at the time. A short visit to B&N and one Access 97 book and about 10-20 hours of reading and practice is all it took to be reasonably proficient in Access. I'm assuming of course, that you understand relational databases and related concepts. In fact, understanding the EDI was the hard part, as I had zero knowledge of it at the time.

Either way, I wouldn't put in on my resume w/o at least buying a book and a bit of practice. Understanding Access really well, which involves knowledge of relational databases, VBA and most likely MS SQL Server takes a long time.

Roger that :beer: