How did you get so smart?

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Do you often have to ask questions in class? Or do you just understand the material you're going over naturally meaning it just sinks in and once you go home you can do the homework with ease and it's like icing on a cake, smooth as butter.

Or do you have to ask questions, repeat the questions, write down numerous notes, etc etc?

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I pick things up easily, I did fine without studying until my second year of engineering.

Then I didn't do so hot, should have learned how to study earlier.

Viper GTS

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
I just paid attention in class, it worked most of the time :)

SammyBoy

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2001
I was born smart. My dad took me to bars when I was like 5 and i'd beat his buddies in connect 4 and he'd buy me nice toys the next day.

Problem is i'd say I have a worse work ethic now than I did when I was 5, and I hate doing homework, and ive never really learned to make myself sit down and study or do pointless crud. Thank god this whole thing will be over in a few days, i hope i graduate.

JetBlack69

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2001
I learn by examples and by going over problems over and over and over. Some things naturaly sink in, but it depends on how it is presented. In high school, things were pretty good, asked a few questions here and there. In college, everything is much harder.

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
Do you often have to ask questions in class? Or do you just understand the material you're going over naturally meaning it just sinks in and once you go home you can do the homework with ease and it's like icing on a cake, smooth as butter.

Or do you have to ask questions, repeat the questions, write down numerous notes, etc etc?

i watch the history channel.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Nocturnal

If you are having such a hard time learning, perhaps you should drop out and go to In-N-Out University where they will teach you how to slice tomatoes and scrub urinals.:Q

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
my belief: genetics + stimulation
i used to read a lot about science and electronics when i was in elementary school
now i pick up math/science/technology stuff easily

but some effort is still needed, especially for some 2nd year computer engineering math courses... i didn't put in any effort and got a shltty mark for my complex variable analysis course.

not so good with languages/speaking though

I wouldn't say that I'm smart in everything. I have my strengths and weaknesses. And it took determination for me to get there. I knew that if I set my goal, I would achieve it. I was determined to, in spite of not being completely sure of the outcome. I had a motivation: Someone I really loved was a motivation for me since he was doing quite well. I also had affections for particular subjects, even though I didn't perfom well.

So when the holiday came, I sat my a** down and studied advance SAT like material. And it proved just what I thought: It takes primarily determination to succeed. There's always a potential waiting to be tapped. The rest is history.