How did the Raiders get 21 pts?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I quit watching at halftime when the score was 24-3

2 TD's and another field goal = 20. so How did the raiders get to 21? or did they do a 2 pt conversion on their TD?

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
That first TD was a mercy call. The ball was still bobling when Porter went out of bounds. That last 2 point conversion was good - Rice was pushed out of bounds. But apparently you cannot challenge that - so that was a waste of challenge by oakland.

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
I didn't understand why the hell they were going for two. Just kick the extra point and take the point when you can get it. Granted, it didn't matter in the end.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: mpitts
I didn't understand why the hell they were going for two. Just kick the extra point and take the point when you can get it. Granted, it didn't matter in the end.

They were down. When you can drive two pointers down the throat of the opposition it can be demoralizing. However, if you blow it, the "shoe is now on the other foot".

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper
Originally posted by: mpitts

They were down. When you can drive two pointers down the throat of the opposition it can be demoralizing. However, if you blow it, the "shoe is now on the other foot".

Sure, but if they just kick three extra points instead of blowing three 2-pointers, you are only down 10 points. Like I said, it didn't matter any as the Bucs destroyed them, but it never makes sense to me to take the risk.. Take the points and keep playing.

MemnochtheDevil

Aug 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Argo
That first TD was a mercy call. The ball was still bobling when Porter went out of bounds. That last 2 point conversion was good - Rice was pushed out of bounds. But apparently you cannot challenge that - so that was a waste of challenge by oakland.

Hmm, I thought Rices right foot was hanging right over the line and he might not have got it in as he came down. Then he got pushed and mad it impossible to tell. It was close from the replays. Definitely a tough judgement call for the ref. But why the heck would you challenge it and waste a time out? The raiders had been told they couldn't challenge the push out, why waste a timeout that you will need to have any chance of getting back in the game? The raiders got out played and out coached in that game...

codeyf

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Originally posted by: MemnochtheDevil
Originally posted by: Argo

Hmm, I thought Rices right foot was hanging right over the line and he might not have got it in as he came down. Then he got pushed and mad it impossible to tell. It was close from the replays. Definitely a tough judgement call for the ref. But why the heck would you challenge it and waste a time out? The raiders had been told they couldn't challenge the push out, why waste a timeout that you will need to have any chance of getting back in the game? The raiders got out played and out coached in that game...

Yeah, that push out was one of the smartest plays of the game outside of the interceptions. Couldn't be challenged, not a penalty, but prevented 2 points from being put on the board.

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
By NFL rules if the player is pushed out of bounds and if in the "official's point of view" he would've landed inbounds otherwise - the pass is ruled complete. However, as a judgement call, it cannot be challendged so I don't understand what raiders were challenging in that situation. The only thing they could've challendged was that Rice landed inbounds which he dind't by at least 5 feet.