How did people deal with forest fires before modern plumbing?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I meant things like fire trucks and hoses
Those are usually used to protect buildings. Forest fires are mostly fought with shovels, saws, bulldozers, fire, and retardant drops. Basically, dig a line around the fire and burn off the line to remove the fuel around the fire. Retardant is used to slow the fire down to buy time to dig line. Sometimes the retardant puts the fire out but that's just a bonus.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
One of the more effective "modern" ways to fight fire is with fire.... Firemen will do controlled burns, etc to remove fuel from a fire's path. The problem with fighting fires in the old days was they didn't have meteorology to tell them if rain was coming...or on the flipped side, wind. They also didn't have areal views of the region to really see destruction, beyond what you could see from fire towers. Most of the planes and choppers that drop water are only trying to redirect the fire, not totally extinguish it.

I remember a swamp tour I went on once where they talked about how the swamp caught fire from a lightning strike in the dry season. It's neat how fire can clear out brush, dead wood and plants and help new growth come back....it's part of nature on one level.... Sadly, California's winds and arid climates make it very deadly.

I remember driving through Florida years ago when wildfires were raging in the Northern part of the state. I drove down a 2 lane highway from Georgia to get into the state and bypassed the worst of the smoke.....(but it was still both inside and outside the car) I got gas at a station and you could taste the smoke in the air it was so heavy. We kept driving through to Orlando and Universal/Disney were virtually empty that week. I think they eventually got rain and it put out the fires, but that's what it takes to knock things back....

Jon-T

Jun 5, 2011
I'm sure everyone here heard of the great Chicago fire in 1871. It killed 300 people and burned a little over 2000 acres.

On the same day in there was a forest fire in Wisconsin. It killed about 2000 people and burned 1.2 million acres.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peshtigo_Fire

Not much people could do at the time. The only option they had was preventative, clean up the tinder before it becomes a problem.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Bucket brigade

1) Create clearing around house
2) Plow trench around house.
3) During fire - throw buckets of water on roof to render it less flammable. Beat out falling cinders.
4) Pray

At least on timber-cleared land it might work.

Mar 16, 2005
Build moats

moat.jpg

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
Live on on the plains and get swept up in tornadoes...you can't win USA. Thankfully I live in Canada and only have to worry about this

Jon-T

Jun 5, 2011
Are some of the posters here really going off on a tangent?

Results of Canada's new pot laws?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I always wondered that myself. All forests are basically connected in some way or the other so how did 1 forest fire not end up burning down the entire continent? I guess a lot of luck, where eventually the wind shifts just right so that it does not keep traveling where there's more trees left to burn. I guess rain helps too. Eventually it would rain hard enough at the right places to wet whatever is left and it would eventually slow it down and/or put it out.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
In one of the Little House on the Prairie books I remember the Ingalls fighting off a plains fire. IIRC through a heroic efforts of beating on the fire with sacks and using their well water they managed to keep their house from burning down but everything else was destroyed. And that was just a grass fire.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
In one of the Little House on the Prairie books I remember the Ingalls fighting off a plains fire. IIRC through a heroic efforts of beating on the fire with sacks and using their well water they managed to keep their house from burning down but everything else was destroyed. And that was just a grass fire.
12751a.gif
Oklahoma. Fire fighters and their equipment used for putting out ground fires. Taken by W. R. Wattson, February 1918.

77982.gif
Fighting forest fire on the Wallowa NF, Oregon, date unknown