Discussion How did median wage skyrocket after Trump took office? Also, consumer price index keeps rising.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Median usual weekly earnings
1636138342721.png

Consumer price index seems to be rising endlessly.
1636138706369.png

kitkat22

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2005
I would like to see a bar graph distribution of wages/salary of each class of worker over time. This is median of all salaried workers. I have a feeling the distribution of the wealthy skews the data a fair amount.

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006
It was climbing at a fairly linear rate since 2013. That was pre-Trump. Incidentally those wages were rising when all the blue collar people were complaining about Obamas "economy. " Further indicating that most people that vote are clueless about the truth.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Median usual weekly earnings
View attachment 52420
I'd surmise that the apparent spike in "median" wages corresponds directly with ~5% of the nation getting laid off with the pandemic - as the vast majority of those layoffs were below median wage workers. Which automagically shifts the median wage upwards.

New improved method to improve median wages! Fire all of the minimum wage workers...

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I'd surmise that the apparent spike in "median" wages corresponds directly with ~5% of the nation getting laid off with the pandemic - as the vast majority of those layoffs were below median wage workers. Which automagically shifts the median wage upwards.

New improved method to improve median wages! Fire all of the minimum wage workers...
that spike is right on april 2020 - when everyone got laid off. so yup, it's just a truncation of the bottom, as opposed to real, meaningful gains.

btw, trump took office in january 2017. as the graph shows, not a ton of movement in the first 2 years.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Looking at that data, I don't see anything meaningfully change until the pandemic introduces some chaos via a temporary spike.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
That train set was in motion long before Trump. During Obama, Obama tried to get or force a minimum wage of $11 an hour. Obama and Bernie Sanders brought much attention to the issue of poor wages, low wages, and pushing for a living wage. Well, congress failed to increase the minimum wage which was no surprise, however…. business got the message. Employer’s got the message. Business and employers were “shamed” into the reality that employees needed and deserved a better wage and thus wages went up beginning from the last administration of Obama thru the new administration of Trump. And so, Donald Trump had nothing to do with the rise in wages. In fact, Donald Trump did nothing during his time in office to push for higher wages, and the rise in wages was the sole reaction from business and employer’s having being shamed by Obama and Bernie Sanders. Give credit where credit is due….

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
In fact, Donald Trump did nothing during his time in office to push for higher wages, and the rise in wages was the sole reaction from business and employer’s having being shamed by Obama and Bernie Sanders. Give credit where credit is due….

Republican propaganda would tell you Trump cut regulation! He changed things!!!

Data suggests Trump cause no change in the trend.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
we had 10 years of economic expansion along with a fed that wasn't trying to kill wage growth in the name of stopping inflation.