Solved! How Delete Recovery Partition on an Old System SSD

RhoXS

Aug 14, 2010
I have a 512 GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD that was once used as a C: drive system disk. I now am using it to just hold data so I only want a single partition using all available space. However, I am unable to remove the 450 MB Recovery Partition. The Disk Management dialog does not provide an option to remove this partition although it does for all other partitions on all other drives. Searching Google just provides instructions to use Disk Management but this obviously will not work with a Recovery Partition. Help would be appreciated.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
You'll need to use diskpart to get rid of system partitions.

To do this open powershell, and type diskpart. It'll take a few seconds to load. When prompted "DISKPART>", type "list disk" <enter>. You'll get a list of drives in the system. Identify the 850 PRO (size is a good clue), and type "select disk x" (again confirming with enter), were x is the disk number. It's very important to get the right one, because otherwise you could delete your system or data drive (if you have one). Type "list disk" again. The selected disk will be marked by a small star. When you've double, and preferably triple, checked everything, type "clean" <enter>. This command will wipe the selected disk, and require professional assistance for recovery, so be careful using it.

That's all there is to it. You'll need to setup a new partition, the drive will have been returned to factory state, as when you got it.

Small disclaimer; I don't take responsibility for any lost data. Be sure to backup anything important first. If in doubt use an unimportant other system for the task.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

RhoXS

Aug 14, 2010
Thanks. Worked perfectly. The "List Partition" was a good triple check to be sure I had the correct drive as my system C: drive is the same size as the drive I wanted just a single simple partition on.

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
Or you could download and use Aomei Partition Aassistant Std. for free.
It has a GUI, shows all drives by disk number AND their assigned letter, shows ALL partitions and allows you to remove, resize, wipe, delete, clone, etc.
So much simpler AND it forces you to confirm all steps.
I haven't used diskpart since I found APA.
At the very least check it out !