How come when anybody starts a serious topic that will cause a good debate, people get mad at them?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
because 99.999% of the time, it's been done before, 10000x times

and they often wind up as flamefests

Mnementh

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2003
Originally posted by: klah
Because they can't handle the truth!

Wow way to find an old thread just how far back were you looking? And more to the point WHY??!!??!!??

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Probably because most of them quickly degenerate from intelligent discussion into flame wars.

Alone

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2006
People don't like being challenged/proven wrong. That's generally why the only time I'll passionately argue about something will be when I know it's right/true. If I don't, well, I'll probably tell you that.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Balt
<blockquote>Quote
Originally posted by: alm4rr<BR><blockquote>Quote
Originally posted by: FrogDog<BR>I don't get it. Why is doing that such a bad thing? If you don't like it, don't go in the thread! I mean really, what exactly would this forum be if it was all just about CS, cars and "OMG, My member's golden!"<BR><BR>So let people debate on religion, and other intersting topics...I don't see the harm in it.
<BR><BR><BR>B/c those conversations should be taken to News and Politics where thick headed people can chat themselved blue in the face with polarizing discussions and accomplish nothing[/quote]<BR><BR>

If you gentlemen would kindly check the dates of the OP... ;) [/quote]

Holy crap! :confused:

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
What bugs me is that people think ANY thread that might spark a debate belongs in P&N. Even if it has nothing to do with politics! They point to the "news" portion of the name, but we all know that it's really just a politics forum. Nobody complains when NFS4 posts news about cars or Brutuskend posts his crazy news stories and so on... it's just when someone posts a news story that might spark debate that someone pisses and moans about P&N. People even call P&N in religion threads. :confused:

I like a thread that sparks some debate. If you don't like it, ignore them. :)

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by: thecoolnessrune
Seriously... why was this old thing dragged out of the depths of Hades? o_O

Looks like this is the 5th time too ... Feb 2001 ---> Feb 2002 ---> Nov 2003 ---> Aug 2004 ---> April 2007

Keeps coming back like a bad rash!

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Captante
Originally posted by: thecoolnessrune
Seriously... why was this old thing dragged out of the depths of Hades? o_O

Looks like this is the 5th time too ... Feb 2001 ---> Feb 2002 ---> Nov 2003 ---> Aug 2004 ---> April 2007

Keeps coming back like a bad rash!

We are stamped into History! :D