How come there's no ONT + router combo devices?

Asphodelus

May 29, 2011
For better (ISPs) or for worse (bridging can be a PITA), cable and DSL gateways have been combo devices including router functionality for a good 10-15 years now. How come this isn't the case with fiber?

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Because the customer has no real reason to have access to the ONT. Verizon FIOS beta tested an ONT router (the g2100) but it never got released outside of that. The fiber itself is fairly fragile compared to an Ethernet or coaxial line, so keeping it away from the customer is the standard practice.

I prefer a standalone ONT anyway, that means I can use whatever router I feel like for my network. Up to and including pfsense or some crazy enterprise grade setup if I felt like it.

Last edited:

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
My FIOS Wireless Router was already been upgraded twice.

The ONT is sitting in the closet for 5 years Untouched.

So... you want me to pay two times for ONT unneeded Upgrade??? o_O-:mad:-:confused:

:cool:

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
(I had to look up the meaning of "ONT".)
Local ISPs (to me) all do use routers, like Inteno https://www.intenogroup.com/products/gateways/eg300/ that have both RJ45 and SFP slot (WAN-side).
That is thus a "ONT-router combo". I.e. they are "in use", just like the other combos, in some parts of Earth.

We have both fiber and Ethernet copper to apartment. There was an option to connect via fiber; the ISP was happy/obliged to offer "fiber-Ethernet adapter" (an ONT?) for $100, but only the copper is connected (for now), so we have effectively FTTB. Majority of local ISPs' customers are probably FTTB, with TV-cabling (prominent), DSL, or Ethernet for the final yards. Therefore, while the router models could do ONT and buildings had fiber to apartment, hardly anyone actually uses that feature. (Not sure if the ISP's ONT on the building works for fiber to fiber too, or would they have to switch their device should the customers demand fiber.)

I would be happy to plug a fiber into my tranceiver in SFP-slot of my router, if I had one and ISP were okay with that (big IFs). Separate ONT is almost as good. Games have "combos". Networking is Serious Business and no game.