How come the president has the ability to pardon people?

FortFunFoSho

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2002
Was just reading wiki at the same time as I posted this and I am trying to figure how i feel about the ability to pardon people.

SmoochyTX

Lifer
Apr 19, 2003
Originally posted by: FortFunFoSho
Was just reading wiki at the same time as I posted this and I am trying to figure how i feel about the ability to pardon people.

In that case, you're in the wrong forum. Have fun.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
From Article 2 of the US Constitution:

"he shall have power to grant reprieves and pardons for offenses against the United States, except in cases of impeachment"

THAT is why he has the ability to pardon people.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
to correct miscarriages of justice. Unfortunately its usually used for political payoff, or at least more than it should be.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Because someone has to have that power and you really can?t give it to the courts since they are suppose to be impartial.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Maybe a better worded question (which I haven't time to research) is what influences and thoughts led the writers of the Constitution to allow a President to give pardons.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
What's this checks and balances nonsense? The country has 300 M people, there's no way he can act as a C&B against injustice to all of them or even a fairly moderate percentage of them.

I think this rule is old and the constitution could probably do without it. It seems like when presidents leave office (all of them), their friends get pardons. Who's the C&B against that corruption?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It's traditional, having its roots in the divine right of Kings. Governors have the same power wrt state offences.

Yeh, sure, it can be misused for political purposes, but it's a necessary and desirable part of the executive toolkit. If anything, few executives use it as frequently as they should for fear of political backlash from the law&order vengeance crowd...

Dunno who said it first, but the idea that "a society can best be judged by the quality of its mercy" would seem to apply...