Question How come my new SSD is this fast?

pubquiz

Jan 4, 2019
Hi All ...my 1st post....

I recently replaced my 5 year old or more 120gb Intel SSD with a Samsung 250GB 860 EVO Sata III 64L V NAND Solid State Drive,MZ-76E250B/EU.

My Pc is quite old having a Z77 extreme 4 MB and i7 3770K CPU.

I was getting read write speeds of approx 400 on the top row of crystaldisc mark 6 with the Intel and was expecting about 500 with the new Samsung.

However I am getting 2582 read and 2416 write on the top line of CD6 with it!....which seems incredibly fast as it only claims to give speeds of 500 ish.MB/s

Is this correct?...its seems too good to be true.

See attached pic ...read speeds top to bottom in crystal disc 6 are 2582,1201,211 and 217.MB/s.

would welcome any advice.

Tom

Attachments

• pc with new samsung ssd.jpg
    pc with new samsung ssd.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 10

pubquiz

Jan 4, 2019
Hi LTC and Ketchup Thanks for the replies.

Yes you are both right.....I forgot I had set 'Rapid Mode' to on in the Samsung Magician software.

I turned it off and did cystal disk mark again and got the readings I expected.....see pic.

Just googled it and it seems that it is using RAM as a cache but the figures shown are not realistic....it can be 0-25% quicker with rapid mode on but not 400% as displayed!

Still the consensus is that leaving rapid mode on certainly cant do anything bad so I have turned it back on.....I have 32GB RAM anyway so shouldnt be a problem.

Tom

Attachments

• rapid mode off samsung.jpg
    rapid mode off samsung.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: TennesseeTony

pubquiz

Jan 4, 2019
Thanks for that Ketchup...will bear that in mind.

Just done a quick test using with 'rapid mode' on and off in Samsung Magician.

I cut and pasted a 3.73gb sized file from the desktop (C drive samsung ssd) to the D drive (conventional spinning disc 3TB Seagate) and then back again with rapid mode on and off...results were:

Rapid Mode Off
desktop to D Drive: 15 secs
D Drive to desktop: 52 secs

Rapid mode On:
desktop to D Drive: 7 secs
D Drive to desktop 33 secs.

So an appreciable improvement....a good £47 spent I think.

Tom

Reactions: prtskg

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
There is nothing wrong with rapid mode, but make sure you are on an UPS or at the very least maintain backups of critical data on a separate drive.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
OP, just remember that rapid mode can show some noticeable increases in daily use, but any benchmark is going to inflate these numbers due to the way it reads and writes data in a way that would lean more toward a memory bandwidth limitation, which is of course much higher. The variation of data you encounter on a daily basis makes the difference less noticeable. If you want some light reading, here is an article about it:

https://www.windowscentral.com/samsung-ssd-rapid-mode