How come McCain's treatment of his first wife doesn't get more press?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Brovane
IMHO the reason that McCain's treatment of his first wife gets so little attention.

#1-He had been a POW for 6 years which makes people give him a little leeway. If you are separated from your spouse for 6-years things can happen.
#2-This happen 30-years ago. It isn't fresh news and the wounds are not so fresh.
#3-McCain has taken full responsibility for what happened to his first marriage. He has basically said it is all his fault and taken all the blame. He hasn't tried to minimize what happen which doesn't give the press really anywhere to take it. When asked what is his biggest moral failing he said his first marriage. People can accept in the US that he screwed up and he has admitted that he screwed up.
#4-This has already been covered before. McCain is his previous runs for the nomination this was already covered.
#5-You have no bitter ex-wife talking trash about him on the news.

You put all this together and this is why this isn't covered much at all.

this x5

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
You would think the OP wouldn't have been dumb enough to start another thread on this and instead could have just bumped any of the already existing ones where this was discussed.

At least we can hope for that to change next time.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Because we pick and choose whats important.

Bush's college drug use- important. Obama's...irrelevant.
Chappaquiddick? Irrelevant. Teddy is important!

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Was McCain ever asked any questions about Edward's admission? I imagine he'd stay pretty mum on the topic and say something like "that's between Sen. Edwards and his wife."

Sep 14, 2005
I think this pretty well sums things up.... RW hypocrisy FTL

In 2004, numerous leading right-wing pundits had many things to say about men who do that: Joseph Farah, World Net Daily, "President Gigolo?":

But if there is one characteristic of Kerry's life that should disqualify him absolutely as a candidate for president, it is the fact that he has sought out millionaire wives to take care of him. Not to put too fine a point on it, he's a serial gigolo.

Let me ask you this: How many single women do you know worth a hundred million dollars or more? . . . After raising children with her, Kerry sought and received an annulment of that long-term marriage. Then he married Teresa Heinz Kerry, the widow of a Senate colleague five years his senior. She is worth approximately $500 million.

Is marrying well good preparation for serving as the president of the United States? . . . . He's always had a net underneath him throughout his political career -- in his case, a net woven of homespun 24K gold.

And, once again, as Boteach points out, his second wife, Teresa made him sign a prenuptial agreement when they were wed: "Which begs the question: If his own wife doesn't trust him with her money, why should we trust him with ours?"

Teresa Heinz Kerry is not sure about her husband's character. Are you?

ad nauseum from various right wing blowhards

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Infidel

In 2004, numerous leading right-wing pundits had many things to say about men who do that: Joseph Farah, World Net Daily, "President Gigolo?":

But if there is one characteristic of Kerry's life that should disqualify him absolutely as a candidate for president, it is the fact that he has sought out millionaire wives to take care of him. Not to put too fine a point on it, he's a serial gigolo.

Let me ask you this: How many single women do you know worth a hundred million dollars or more? . . . After raising children with her, Kerry sought and received an annulment of that long-term marriage. Then he married Teresa Heinz Kerry, the widow of a Senate colleague five years his senior. She is worth approximately $500 million.

Is marrying well good preparation for serving as the president of the United States? . . . . He's always had a net underneath him throughout his political career -- in his case, a net woven of homespun 24K gold.

And, once again, as Boteach points out, his second wife, Teresa made him sign a prenuptial agreement when they were wed: "Which begs the question: If his own wife doesn't trust him with her money, why should we trust him with ours?"

And this is irrelevant why exactly?

dsity

Jan 5, 2005
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: Brovane
IMHO the reason that McCain's treatment of his first wife gets so little attention.

#1-He had been a POW for 6 years which makes people give him a little leeway. If you are separated from your spouse for 6-years things can happen.
#2-This happen 30-years ago. It isn't fresh news and the wounds are not so fresh.
#3-McCain has taken full responsibility for what happened to his first marriage. He has basically said it is all his fault and taken all the blame. He hasn't tried to minimize what happen which doesn't give the press really anywhere to take it. When asked what is his biggest moral failing he said his first marriage. People can accept in the US that he screwed up and he has admitted that he screwed up.
#4-This has already been covered before. McCain is his previous runs for the nomination this was already covered.
#5-You have no bitter ex-wife talking trash about him on the news.

You put all this together and this is why this isn't covered much at all.

this x5

Actually no. People decide what they want to believe and they stick to it. Anyone voting for Mccain would "forgive" him. Anyone voting against wouldn't.

Sep 14, 2005
Originally posted by: blackangst1
Originally posted by: Infidel

And this is irrelevant why exactly?

It pretty clearly illustrates that the left and the media shows more respect and restraint when it comes to a personal matters, and that the right wingers are nothing but scum. Kerry's personal choices were spun into a huge issue in 2004 by the Limbaugh's and Hannitys of the world, meanwhile McCain's choices are left alone so it appears there is less coverage, you know, the TOPIC OF THIS THREAD. The disparity in coverage is due to the difference between the character of the left and the right.

Now do you understand why it is relevant?

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Like it or not, war changes people. You can't expect to go through something like he did and expect everything to be the same for him when he returns. You change, and the relationships with those back home will inevitably change in response to that. Talk to many in the WW2 generation and they will tell you this. I'm not saying that what he did was right, only that some of it can be explained.

Personally, I don't think that it is brought up in the media because they don't want to open up that can of worms. They would have to face the reality of what has been happening to our veterans when they return despite improved public acceptance of service (think Vietnam) and increased medical care. Physical damage can be repaired, but you can't close your eyes and pretend that everything is okay once they are discharged.

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007
Originally posted by: MovingTarget
Like it or not, war changes people. You can't expect to go through something like he did and expect everything to be the same for him when he returns. You change, and the relationships with those back home will inevitably change in response to that. Talk to many in the WW2 generation and they will tell you this. I'm not saying that what he did was right, only that some of it can be explained.

Personally, I don't think that it is brought up in the media because they don't want to open up that can of worms. They would have to face the reality of what has been happening to our veterans when they return despite improved public acceptance of service (think Vietnam) and increased medical care. Physical damage can be repaired, but you can't close your eyes and pretend that everything is okay once they are discharged.

Hey, I fucked around on my wife, but I WAS A Pee Ow DUBYA YA SEE!!

This kind of shit happens every single day. There's probably a scoreboard that can score a crippled/ugly (beer-goggles) divorcee per minute.

The issue is that Sidney is pretending to run on "values," and dumping your crippled ugly wife for some rich, hot, younger broad is nowhere near the "values" Sidney wants to appeal to. Just go ahead and say it, Sidney. Be that "maverick" that we know and love. JUST DO IT!

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: lupi
You would think the OP wouldn't have been dumb enough to start another thread on this and instead could have just bumped any of the already existing ones where this was discussed.

Oh, I considered appending it to the thread on Edwards infidelity. But I just knew you'd put in one of your own mindless, defend-the-right-at-any-costs posts, and it was too good to resist.

Please. Tell us something enlightening. Something outrageous. Something we haven't heard before.

Edit: I'm kinda disappointed you didn't throw in one of your goofy grin-o-cons. You're slipping.

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007
Originally posted by: shira
Originally posted by: lupi

Oh, I considered appending it to the thread on Edwards infidelity. But I just knew you'd put in one of your own mindless, defend-the-right-at-any-costs posts, and it was too good to resist.

Please. Tell us something enlightening. Something outrageous. Something we haven't heard before.

I can try:

Barack Obama is a gay-homosexual transvestite secret-Muslim who is actually 167 years old. He maintains his youthful good looks by feasting on embryonic stem-cells, which work in conjunction with his negro powers!

Personally, I witnessed the man devour at least 15 human embryos while participating in a secret-muslim-gay orgy held in the liberal capital of Cambridge, Mass!!!!

I was freaking shocked! Those fetuses were too young for concetual sexy time.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: MovingTarget

I don't see where you're getting this "war changes people" stuff. If you read the story, it's pretty clear he was a playboy before marriage, and when he saw Carol's state on his return from the service, he became a playboy again. Once McCain met rich, beautiful Cindy, Carol was history.

But I guess it was all because of post-traumatic stress of the testicles. Poor, poor, John.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
americans are forgiving as long as you own up to it. andy petite was named in the mitchell report. he owned up to it and everyone moved on. roger clemens was named in the mitchell report. he started a giant media circus, made a fool of himself, got congress involved, and now he's got no credibility and no one wants to hear from him.