How come I have never heard of a Canadian, Australian, New Zealand or South African rapper?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: BoberFett
I'm surprised there aren't more Canadian rappers. It'd be so easy to write rhyming lyrics. Everything already ends with "eh".
Goin' to work, just another day,
Cause buying bling ya gosta have pay.
Givin kudos to Snoop and Dre,
Canadian rapper, what up eh?

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I'm surprised there aren't more Canadian rappers. It'd be so easy to write rhyming lyrics. Everything already ends with "eh".

I grab my glock and put it near my c@ck
Wonder how many I killed in the sock
So check it out without a doubt
this is the new sound coming about

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Skoorb and Tommy

You'll want to find yourselves some good IP lawyers. Some rap star has probably found your lyrics and is using them to make a new CD and video as we speak.

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001

bwahahahahaha:D
You guys are too much.
I even listen to a good amount of rap too:)

But to answer the question, it's probably because you don't live in Canada, Australia, New Zealand or South Africa and the music companies don't think they can make any money by bringing it over the pond.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
It is closed minded because it demotes hip-hop from being an art form.
I just don't buy it that I'm close minded because I don't like something. I was staring at a painting at work yesterday - a big "new age/contemporary" piece. Basically what it was was a mis-colored piece of canvas with some splotches and streaks of paint on it. And presumably somebody actually made money for this thing, which is really quite in line with what an autistic pre-schooler would do. Sure, technically it's art, but then so too is art of the guy who liked to smash rats on a piece of canvas with a brick (heard about him some years ago). Eitherway it's crap.
Hell, I'm far from gifted in the artistic or creative area, but given that even I could create something like (or even better than) these modern "art" exhibits - that should tell you a bit about the "talent" of some of the "artists." I have no problem with people expressing themselves in such ways as they wish, but it seems rediculously odd to me that they are able to make so much money off of their crappy "art."

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I know lots of MCs and rhymers. they are a part of the (not so local but pretty local) underground hiphop scene though