How come I have never heard of a Canadian, Australian, New Zealand or South African rapper?

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Baby Blue Sound Crew and Swollen Members are very popular rappers from Canada.

Dec 28, 2001
They're not hyped-up by the media machine in the US. And people mistake a lot of the popular fads that are imported as 'American' to begin with, anyhoo . . ..

IEatChildren

Jul 4, 2003
The Canadian market for rap is very small compared to the US market, and being in Canada, you have to make it there before expanding to the States.
I couldn't name any of them offhand, but if you name some, I probably know them. I'm not quite a fan of that musical genre.

EDIT: And Snow is back, but it's not really rap at all

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
"How come I have never heard of a Canadian, Australian, New Zealand or South African rapper?"

It is American music.

bolido2000

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
They probably exist. You haven't heard of them because they are not commercial enought to export perhaps

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Dr Smooth
"How come I have never heard of a Canadian, Australian, New Zealand or South African rapper?"

It is American music.
It may be American, but it sure as hell ain't music. These other countries can be thankful they don't have to be subjected to it!

Rap as the expression of Blackness
  • Rap is art for those who lack artistic taste and talent, music for those who can?t carry a tune, poetry for those who lack basic linguistic skills... It is roughly to freedom of expression what S&M is to romance...A lot of rap is frankly pitched to what the Victorians called the criminal classes... The mission of shocking the bourgeoisie has passed from the avant-garde to the common thugs.

- Joseph Sobran, Milwaukee Journal

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Ornery

It is American music.
It may be American, but it sure as hell ain't music. These other countries can be thankful they don't have to be subjected to it!

• Rap is art for those who lack artistic taste and talent, music for those who can?t carry a tune, poetry for those who lack basic linguistic skills... It is roughly to freedom of expression what S&M is to romance...A lot of rap is frankly pitched to what the Victorians called the criminal classes... The mission of shocking the bourgeoisie has passed from the avant-garde to the common thugs.

I do like a scant little amount of rap, but that quote you posted is damn near dead on. Truly I can't off the top of my head think of any other genre in which those who rise to the top of their game have so little musical talent. The similarities between a pianist, guitarist, drummer, violinist, etc. is that they all need to be musically inclined and introduce, if not at least some formal education in the area, a lot of practice. Even singers need lessons and practice. But rappers typically have no musical skill (mixing beats in the case of a group like Chemical Brothers does take talent, but creating a bassline for a song by 50 cent barely does), and they can't sing. So really they have nothing but attitude and rarely original lyrics.

This is in general, as a few are pretty good...

TheCorm

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2000
Originally posted by: ScottyB
Well, they may actually take pride in their music and not listen to [c]rap.

LOL

I think we have a fair number of rappers in the UK..

Wuffsunie

Platinum Member
May 4, 2002
Originally posted by: ScottyB
Well, they may actually take pride in their music and not listen to [c]rap.
Right on, we do :D

Rap is art for those who lack artistic taste and talent, music for those who can?t carry a tune, poetry for those who lack basic linguistic skills... It is roughly to freedom of expression what S&M is to romance...A lot of rap is frankly pitched to what the Victorians called the criminal classes... The mission of shocking the bourgeoisie has passed from the avant-garde to the common thugs.

- Joseph Sobran, Milwaukee Journal[/list]
LOL!! Dude, that's cold. I like it. Definite quote file material.

-- Jack

I've learnt never to criticise another person's music tastes. Of course, techno and rap can't be classified as music, let alone taste (or the lack of).
-- Jason Q.

GregGreen

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb

It is American music.

I do like a scant little amount of rap, but that quote you posted is damn near dead on. Truly I can't off the top of my head think of any other genre in which those who rise to the top of their game have so little musical talent. The similarities between a pianist, guitarist, drummer, violinist, etc. is that they all need to be musically inclined and introduce, if not at least some formal education in the area, a lot of practice. Even singers need lessons and practice. But rappers typically have no musical skill (mixing beats in the case of a group like Chemical Brothers does take talent, but creating a bassline for a song by 50 cent barely does), and they can't sing. So really they have nothing but attitude and rarely original lyrics.

These are two of most closed minded statements I have ever seen in OT. It's really disgusting that you can't appreciate anything. I'd like to see either of you two and that journalist go out and make any sort of hip-hop that sounds good.

GregGreen

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2000

It is American music.

These are two of most closed minded statements I have ever seen in OT. It's really disgusting that you can't appreciate anything. I'd like to see either of you two and that journalist go out and make any sort of hip-hop that sounds good.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: GregGreen

It is American music.

I am not sure why disliking something means I'm close minded. Just because I can't do something means I can't criticize somebody who can? I can't eat a lb of feces in under 30 seconds, but it doesn't mean I should reserve comment on somebody who can. I can't play the drums. Never tried, but does that mean I can't condemn somebody's drumming skills if they've spent merely 20 minutes with a drumstick and then release an album? I've had all the exposure to rap I need.

Like I said, I enjoy some of it. I will "lend props" to Eminem, because he is far and away above what most rappers can ever be in terms of skills, but I have written lyrics on ATOT as brain-dead as some of the stuff by people like fitty cent, and since half of them copy basslines from other songs anyway all that's left is that I'm not from the hood and I don't look good with a hoody pointing fingers at the camera.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Like I said, I enjoy some of it. I will "lend props" to Eminem, because he is far and away above what most rappers can ever be in terms of skills, but I have written lyrics on ATOT as brain-dead as some of the stuff by people like fitty cent, and since half of them copy basslines from other songs anyway all that's left is that I'm not from the hood and I don't look good with a hoody pointing fingers at the camera.
Don't underestimate yourself Skoorb. I'd throw my underwear at you if you were rapping on stage.

GregGreen

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: GregGreen

It is American music.

I am not sure why disliking something means I'm close minded. Just because I can't do something means I can't criticize somebody who can? I can't eat a lb of feces in under 30 seconds, but it doesn't mean I should reserve comment on somebody who can. I can't play the drums. Never tried, but does that mean I can't condemn somebody's drumming skills if they've spent merely 20 minutes with a drumstick and then release an album? I've had all the exposure to rap I need.

It is closed minded because it demotes hip-hop from being an art form. And Eminem isn't God's gift to rap. He sucks at producing and his albums have about zero replay value.

I think the TDOT guy you are thinking about maybe is Kardinall Offishall. From what I've heard of him, he is more of a dancehall guy. To most of the people in this thread thought, that wouldn't make a difference because "they are both not music".

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
It is closed minded because it demotes hip-hop from being an art form.
I just don't buy it that I'm close minded because I don't like something. I was staring at a painting at work yesterday - a big "new age/contemporary" piece. Basically what it was was a mis-colored piece of canvas with some splotches and streaks of paint on it. And presumably somebody actually made money for this thing, which is really quite in line with what an autistic pre-schooler would do. Sure, technically it's art, but then so too is art of the guy who liked to smash rats on a piece of canvas with a brick (heard about him some years ago). Eitherway it's crap.

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
I saw a Canadian rap video on Much Music, just today. It was the typical bling bling rap video, and they were flashing Candian Dollars!

I have heard of rap from other countries. If you watch the internation channel, you see that. I have seen French, Arabic, and Hindi rappers. But seems like most of that stuff sounded very old school.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm surprised there aren't more Canadian rappers. It'd be so easy to write rhyming lyrics. Everything already ends with "eh".