How come black people use "were" and "was" incorrectly all the time?

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

It just occurred to me: Why do Whites say 'funner', instead of 'more fun'? ;) :p

On another note: How did this thread divert into racism and discrimination? It almost seems as though every thread with mention of race at this forum must always change into a subject of racism, stereotypes, affirmative action or discrimination.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: luvly
It just occurred to me: Why do Whites say 'funner', instead of 'more fun'? ;) :p

On another note: How did this thread divert into racism and discrimination? It almost seems as though every thread with mention of race at this forum must always change into a subject of racism, stereotypes, affirmative action or discrimination.

I am almost positive that guy is Asian...

josphII

Banned
Nov 24, 2001
Thats not true. Blacks are singled out and often recieve rushed unfair judgement. It just trips me out here. Here's a board that is 95% or better white and republican. That don't live in a ghetto, conversate with anyone from the ghetto, and are scared to death to even go to the ghetto. But yet you guys come off like you know everything about the hardcore blacks from the ghetto. The fact is 98% of the 95% here don't know the first thing about a ghetto or blacks in general except for what they read. Its like listening to a bunch of people from Florida talking about what its like to live in Alaska. In nice around about way a person from Florida wouldn't know the first damn thing about life in Alaska or the people in Alaska either. Just like here 99.999999999% of the bs I see posted here is by a bunch of caucasians who don't know the first thing about blacks or the "ghetto". And whats sad is they believe that they have the "facts" when in reality all they have is their ignorance.

rolleye.gif

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Thats not true. Blacks are singled out and often recieve rushed unfair judgement. It just trips me out here. Here's a board that is 95% or better white and republican. That don't live in a ghetto, conversate with anyone from the ghetto, and are scared to death to even go to the ghetto. But yet you guys come off like you know everything about the hardcore blacks from the ghetto.
I'm sure anyone who disagrees with you must be a white Republican, including Ward Connerly, Signithia Fordham, Shelby Steele, Gerald Reynolds, John Ogbu, Thomas Sowell, and a few thousand black police officers who patrol black communities and demonstrate no meaningful difference from whites in how they police (they're just rarely accused of racism since it doesn't quite work as well when the alleged 'oppressor' is another black). While Jessie Jackson and Cornell West are 'real' blacks who know what the ghetto is like. Yeah, whatever...

Its fairly reasonable to say that many here don't understand what the ghetto is like, I'm not among them. Indeed, it is my familiarity with the ghetto which serves as the basis of my statement.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Here's the deal...whites discrimate, blacks discriminate, hispanics discriminate, etc...people have real problems with different looking people. Hell, but 10 normal kids raised together and put one handicapped kid in the mix and see the how they try to 'eliminate' that kid from the group....it's natural in a way, but still not right. In 10/20 years the white race will be the minority in the major metros in the US.

I came for a good upbringing...my parents have been upper middle class since I have been about 7, but my mom was pregnant with me at the tail end of the Vietnam Cluster___k and noodles with butter was a 'good meal'...they came a long way. Now I have never cared social, economic classes....I have had 'ugly' friends (I was actually told by a girl she and her friends would continue the night (not sex, just dancing/partying) with me if I sent my friend home, I said no), 'ghetto' friends that had to tell others at the 7-11 in their 'hood' don't f!@$ with him, he's cool, etc...as long as they are cool/easy going that's all I need. Actually I hate hanging with this faker primadonna types talking about martinis, the hamptons, their lexus, etc.

In reality all I need is a good woman, a good car, a good house, a good beer, and a good conversation [and a good PC thanks to the forums :) ) and I am set, not the best....not the worst, just good and fun.

I am a caucasian male, I married a japanese female. I still at 30 something get people saying you married an asian aren't they built different? People in general are retarded.

Davegod

Platinum Member
Nov 26, 2001
How come Amercians spell colour incorrectly all the time?

[] Bad grammar.
[] Lack of education.
[] They think it's cool.
[] Americans have lower income families.
[] Ethnicity.
[] Inbred.
[] To follow stereotype.
[] The music they listen too.
[] They use AOL.
[] They want to be perceived as ghetto and hardcore.
[] They get dumbed down by the uneducated people there.
[] They were never taught proper english.
[] They are all ignorant and have bad grammar.
[] It's a trait of poor ignorant people.
[] They're lazy.
[] They face prejudice.
[] Thats just how they spell it there - if you can understand them it's effective communication.

ps.

Originally posted by: Netopia
You We would say "The United States is great", but in England they would say "The United States ARE great"... it depends on whether you consider a group of items to be a large, single entity or several smaller ones.

Thats not quite true. "Are" would only be used if referring to plural, i.e. the US citizens. The United States, in this instance anyway, is still generally considered a single country... We would say "Americans are great at spelling colour differently" or "US citizens are great at spelling colour differently", but not "The United States ARE great at spelling colour differently" - it would be "The United States is great at spelling colour differently" (actually wouldnt use that phrase either, since the United States do not spell anything in any way, only it's citizens do - but it would still be "the united states is a great place" and "the people in the united states are great").

pps.

I got bored after page two, so skipped the rest.

ppps.

For the terminally unintelligent, every reason listed is paraphrased from the reasons given as to why Blacks use the different grammar, with the intention of highlighting just how ludicrous some of them are.