Question How close are we to full immersion/Deep dive VR

Obsessed With Gaming

Jan 2, 2019
Will it happen within our lifetime ( in 30-70 years)?

By using Elon Musk's Neuralink (Neural Lace 2039???) ,NerveGear, exo-skeletons, Brain Computer Interfaces maybe?

And if we were to achieve this would anyone still want to live in the real world apart from people who are maintaining the system and certain religious groups?(or at least take breaks from full dive VR)

And is VR a replacement for reality? As in will people still want to physically travel and go outside?

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well, for visuals, we are looking at needing to handle around 1,053,000,000 pixels of image resolution (195 degrees of horizontal, and 135 degrees of vertical field of view), and push 120+ frames per second to that. To put that into some simpler context, 4k video is roughly 8.3 megapixels, which makes what we need just under 127 times more pixels than 4k TV for what the eye can actually detect. At current rate of performance increases in video, we are looking at 80+ years to see that kind of jump in pixel count assuming we somehow have scientific breakthroughs in manufacturing within the next 5 years that gets us past the 3nm barrier (which we don't know how to do since the physics breakdown at those sizes).

Alternatively, if we develop a completely different display technology which is non-pixel based, we might be able to come up with something sooner (projected images directly to the eye, or some kind of neural interface (even less likely than a projector interface)). The visual interface might be the long pole in your equation (touch interfaces and feedback are possibly 20-30 years away from being good enough, but probably 50 from being cheap enough).

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I think immersion is a tricky thing to quantify. I have felt like I'm about to fall off a cliff when playing Beat Saber and you get caught up in the moment. To me, that's pretty immersive when your mind adjust your body physically to handle something sensed in VR.

Now, for feeling like I'm having an orgy with a room full of super models, that's going to take a lot more physical simulation. Visually, we can be tricked pretty easily and a full vertical/horizontal high resolution isn't necessary. We only truly see a narrow range at full clarify and our periphery is not in focus. A variable resolution image could easily get us closer to reality. It's the other senses like touch, taste and smell that are not even being realized. Nothing yet has even come close to simulating that from what I've seen which would probably require a direct integration with the nervous system.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Visually, we can be tricked pretty easily and a full vertical/horizontal high resolution isn't necessary. We only truly see a narrow range at full clarify and our periphery is not in focus. A variable resolution image could easily get us closer to reality.

It might not be entirely necessary for the full image to always be presented at max resolution, but processing wise, it won't be a huge savings, and you added a whole new level of complexity to the system by requiring eyeball tracking within the goggles and extremely fast recalculation of what parts of the image are now the "periphery" and what isn't based on fast twitch reactions on the eye position.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
It might not be entirely necessary for the full image to always be presented at max resolution, but processing wise, it won't be a huge savings, and you added a whole new level of complexity to the system by requiring eyeball tracking within the goggles and extremely fast recalculation of what parts of the image are now the "periphery" and what isn't based on fast twitch reactions on the eye position.

Is this based on your work with developing VR implementations or conjuncture?

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001

I wasn't aware of this, but eye tracking is now an option on the Vive Pro.

https://www.vive.com/eu/pro-eye/

This with the ability to do variable resolution in goggles is looking like something that may be a reality.