How Close Are Mr McCain's Policies to Mr Bush's?

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
How close Mr McCain's policies are to Mr Bush's will be the issue in this year's election.

How close you think they, Mr McCain and Mr Bush, are in their foreign and domestic policies?

PELarson

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Siddhartha
How close Mr McCain's policies are to Mr Bush's will be the issue in this year's election.

How close you think they, Mr McCain and Mr Bush, are in their foreign and domestic policies?

Which McCain?

Candidate McCain or Senator McCain?

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: PELarson

Which McCain?

Candidate McCain

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
You mean John McBush? Almost identical. He voted with Bush 95% of the time last year in the Senate.

Druidx

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
Originally posted by: jpeyton
You mean John McBush? Almost identical. He voted with Bush 95% of the time last year in the Senate.

I didn't realize Bush voted in the senate.

Strange how this is brought up but failed to mention Obama voted in line with fellow Senate Democrats 97 percent of the time in 2007 and 96 percent of the time in 2006.
What's important here is Obama is the one claiming to be a maverick and running on the platform of "Change"
Where's the big change?
Is he going to increase 3% so he will be 100% mindless party line supporter?

Also worth mentioning the fact, how many Democrats got elected to congress on the platform they would stand up to Bush, then failed to do exactly that when it wasn't politically expediate?

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: Druidx

Strange how this is brought up but failed to mention Obama voted in line with fellow Senate Democrats 97 percent of the time in 2007 and 96 percent of the time in 2006.
What's important here is Obama is the one claiming to be a maverick and running on the platform of "Change"
Where's the big change?

Also worth mentioning the fact, how many Democrats got elected to congress on the platform they would stand up to Bush, then failed to do exactly that when it wasn't politically expedite?

The reason I asked the question is because the Democrats have connected Mr McCain to Mr Bush at every opportunity they can get.

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
that's because talk is cheap and you have to say whatever it takes to get elected or you don't ever get the chance to do nothing...

look at last night's dnc speeches... i think that they went over the top last night...

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001

Where's the big change?

Also worth mentioning the fact, how many Democrats got elected to congress on the platform they would stand up to Bush, then failed to do exactly that when it wasn't politically expedite?

Hey Mr. Common Sense smarty pants, don't you know we don't like your kind around here.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005

Where's the big change?

The reason I asked the question is because the Democrats have connected Mr McCain to Mr Bush at every opportunity they can get.

That is because they have nothing else to say. The same far right people that call Obama muslim, are the same as the far left that call McCain a Bush clone.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: lupi

Where's the big change?

Hey Mr. Common Sense smarty pants, don't you know we don't like your kind around here.

Uhhh...

Mr. Lack of Common Sense smarty pants, don't you know that if your policies are 180º from the ruling party and you voted for things that they did not want implemented then you are for change?

The fact that he votes in line with HIS party and not the OTHER party that has been ruling is a sign of change. Whether it is for the better or not is yet to be seen. But I have a very strong feeling that it will be seen in the very near future.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008

Obama voted in favor of the 2005 energy bill. McCain did not.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: winnar111

Obama voted in favor of the 2005 energy bill. McCain did not.

Originally posted by: PELarson
Which McCain?

What PELarson said.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: MikeyLSU

Where's the big change?

That is because they have nothing else to say. The same far right people that call Obama muslim, are the same as the far left that call McCain a Bush clone.

So the fact that Mr McCain has voted with Mr Bush 90 to 95% of the time is a fiction made up by the "far left"?

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006

Where's the big change?

Also worth mentioning the fact, how many Democrats got elected to congress on the platform they would stand up to Bush, then failed to do exactly that when it wasn't politically expediate?
Maybe we should start calling him Barak Pelosi???

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
So the fact that Mr McCain has voted with Mr Bush 90 to 95% of the time is a fiction made up by the "far left"?

IMO the bigger deal is the 180 McCain has done on many of his previous stances in order to fall in line with the party.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005

Where's the big change?

it is true just as much as Obama went to a Muslim school, but irrelevent. Just because he agreed with Bush on many items doesn't make him another Bush. Call him out on individual votes rather than just pretending he is another Bush. It is just a scare tactic.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000

Where's the big change?

It's always hilarious when people bring this up. Obama is running on a platform of change from the current administration. Use some common sense there sport.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

How many times did Obama "vote with Bush"? Considering the infrequent use of the veto, seems like anything Obama has touched would grant him a very high percent.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
I think the best way to see how a candidate will rule is to look at their record and McCain has a long one.

He is certainly a hawk and would favor a "tougher" foreign policy than Obama.

He is also a deficit hawk and would do a FAR better job than Obama at controlling spending.

He also has a LONG track record of working with Democrats to pass bipartisan bills. Some thing Obama has NO history of doing.

As President with a Democrat congress McCain would probably be a moderate centrist President along the lines of Clinton's last 6 years.
As President with a Democrat congress Obama would be a left leaning liberal President along the lines of Jimmy Carter or Clinton's first 2 years.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Originally posted by: Robor

IMO the bigger deal is the 180 McCain has done on many of his previous stances in order to fall in line with the party.

Kind of like Obama, FISA, and gun control, eh?

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
I think the best way to see how a candidate will rule is to look at their record and McCain has a long one.

He is certainly a hawk and would favor a "tougher" foreign policy than Obama.

He is also a deficit hawk and would do a FAR better job than Obama at controlling spending.

He also has a LONG track record of working with Democrats to pass bipartisan bills. Some thing Obama has NO history of doing.

As President with a Democrat congress McCain would probably be a moderate centrist President along the lines of Clinton's last 6 years.
As President with a Democrat congress Obama would be a left leaning liberal President along the lines of Jimmy Carter or Clinton's first 2 years.

I love how you fit your outlook of McCain into 'good times' and Obama into 'bad times'.

How about this for a forecast...? As a president McCain would probably be a right leaning borrow and spend war mongerer along the lines of Bush's 8 years. No thanks. :thumbsdown:

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: winnar111
Originally posted by: Robor

Kind of like Obama, FISA, and gun control, eh?

IMO he did the right thing regarding the FISA deal. Why should the government get a pass and the telcos not?

No candidate is going to get elected running on a pro-gun control stance. Guns aren't ever going to go away so it's a non-issue.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

Where's the big change?

McCain is not a clone. He is not Bush, but he is close enough to the point where I doubt that the majority of Americans will see and feel much of a difference in their lives if he is elected which is exactly why a lot of people do not want him to be Pres. They don't care if he is exactly like Bush or not. The people just want their lives to feel different. They want them to feel better. At the very least, they want them to feel like they used to feel before Bush. Many of these Americans are not quite certain if Obama can deliver on that, but most do believe that he has a much better shot of giving them something closer to what they want (not exactly what they want). I know I feel that way and I agree with a great many of his view points even though I do not agree with all of them.

Druidx

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
Originally posted by: Deeko
It's always hilarious when people bring this up. Obama is running on a platform of change from the current administration. Use some common sense there sport.

Oh Please, Obama biggest bogus claim to fame is that he's supposedly not the typical politician. Yet, he votes more party line than anyone.
So you're going to claim his big platform of "Change" is the fact he's Dem not a Pub.
Is that suppose to be news to anyone?
By your rational sport, every single Dem presidential candidate should/could have ran on the platform of "Change"
I'm just pointing out the obvious.
A Pub is most likely going to vote like a Pub
Just the same as a Dem is going to vote like a Dem.
The only real difference is I see the Dems trying to turn that fact into some kind of
litmus test.
Talk about political hawks.