How can you tell if your clutch is going out?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by queenrobot, Jan 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. queenrobot

queenrobot Platinum Member

1995 Acura Integra 134k miles. Last clutch replaced about 3 1/2 years ago.

What are the signs?

I have never driven a 5 speed before, so I am not sure what to look for.

Thanks in advance.

Necro post. Closed.

Zenmervolt - AnandTech Moderator

#1 queenrobot, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2012
  2. mc866

mc866 Golden Member

Your rpm's will go up when you are on the gas and off the clutch but the car won't speed up or it will but it will take longer than usual, this is the first thing I noticed when mine when out.

3. queenrobot

Okay, I have noticed that. I also barely have to tap the clutch to switch gears. My first gear is weird too, I barely go a few feet and the rpms are up in the 5's.

4. exdeath

exdeath Lifer

Pull away normally and when you are are high rpm where you would normally shift to 2nd or 3rd shift into 5th instead and floor it. You'll know. (Engine bucks and stalls and car shudders = good clutch, engine screams to redline and feels like it's in neutral in gear with foot off clutch = bad clutch).

5. queenrobot

Would that make anything else eff up? I am afraid of doing something stupid and causing other parts to have to be replaced as well.

6. dud

dud Diamond Member

Signs:

You're having problems getting the car in gear.

If you are in gear and you push on the gas and the transmission slips (engine revs but the car is not traveling at the rate of speed it should be for that gear and engine rev combination).

7. BlackTigers

BlackTigers Diamond Member

That's how I know I killed my clutches in my automatic. It was really just a feel thing - I could tell that my car wasn't responding right to my right foot.

I'd nearly redline in first gear, but be at around 15 MPH.

8. jagec

jagec Lifer

Sounds like the clutch is probably going out. Huh, kind of young to go out already...then again, novices to manual transmissions tend to go through clutches more quickly, I know that I did!

It might just be badly adjusted, though, so try to adjust it before you fork out the $$$ for a new one.

9. queenrobot

Thanks, I'll give that a try. My husband just bought me a light "racing clutch" (sorry, total car noob). We are going to get that put in soon. I know my car is a 4 cyl and has cool air intake (I think that is what is called) I have AEM parts on it. I don't think those have anything to do with the clutch, but I could be wrong. I just want to be able to drive my car without any problems.

10. StageLeft

StageLeft No Lifer

Rev it to 6k and drop the clutch at the lights when next to a cop. If you get a ticket, chances are the clutch is still ok :)

11. queenrobot

That would not be good. My car has exhaust that is very, very loud. I sound like an ass even when I am just trying to accelerate sensibly. People constantly think I am trying to race them. The sucky part is that right now my car has hardly any power. :(

12. BlackTigers

BlackTigers Diamond Member

Hahahaha.

13. BW86

BW86 Lifer

:thumbsup:

14. scott916

scott916 Platinum Member

Yeah, when mine was going out, I could most easily tell in second gear. Gun it when you're already at about 3k, and it'll slip instead of accelerating. The engine will vooooooooooooooooooooooom-catch instead of just simply going faster.

15. lewis22

lewis22 Junior Member

Hey I also wanted to know about my clutch it too takes awhile before i can accelerate. But the car works the best when it has been sitting rather when its wramed up. I dont smell the clutch burning until i romp on the gas trying to go faster but at the same time the car does pick up the speed to go after awhile. I just recently put a short shifter in the car could this cause the car to be acting up as well?

I have never had this issue before until i put the short shifter in but that could be cawincedence too.

so i was too thinking that i might just need to adjust the clutch but how do you go about doing that.

Because when i looked at the pedal i did see the hydrolic rod of my 00 civic si look really loose could that be the reason why i am having this issue too?

16. lewis22

lewis22 Junior Member

Hey I also wanted to know about my clutch it too takes awhile before i can accelerate. But the car works the best when it has been sitting rather when its wramed up. I dont smell the clutch burning until i romp on the gas trying to go faster but at the same time the car does pick up the speed to go after awhile. I just recently put a short shifter in the car could this cause the car to be acting up as well?

I have never had this issue before until i put the short shifter in but that could be cawincedence too.

so i was too thinking that i might just need to adjust the clutch but how do you go about doing that.

Because when i looked at the pedal i did see the hydrolic rod of my 00 civic si look really loose could that be the reason why i am having this issue too?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.