How can I work around this? WinXP Home accessing files in my profile and program files folder from my networked comp

ThatDumbGuy

Jul 14, 2001
This is really annoying... i think i could solve the first part of the problem by changing all the default paths for these folders (i.e. my documents, my music, favorites, etc) with tweak ui. is there an easier way, hopefully one that will let me get rid of different user profiles completely, that will still allow me to network my two pc's together?

and what is up with the program files/windows folder access? I can't get into them from the networked comp either.

This is really annoying me, because i would like to keep ALL the documents and media on my larger hard drive on the other computer, and be able to access them from both computers anytime. including favorites. a file server would be a huge hassle and not really economically feasible right now, and i know about jack about that. would have to buy a hub too.

anyone help me out here? give me any leads or pointers?

Thanks in advance.

JenniferX

Dec 10, 2001
Is XP giving you a dialog saying access denied? If so, then you have to login the networked computer as Administrator over the network. At least that is what I had to do, but I am running XP Pro. It has to do with file permissions.

ThatDumbGuy

Jul 14, 2001
i have administrator priviledges on both log ins... unfortunately, the only time i can choose to log in as the administrator itself is in safe mode... im guessing that home edition doesn't have nearly so many network permissions options, and that is what i am running afoul of. just annoying, that's all.