how can I view a windows desktop remotely in Linux?...VNC?

mcveigh

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2000
can linux VNC client connect to a windows box running a vnc server?

trying to find a way to connect the two....

lowtech1

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2000

I haven't ry it out, but I assume that it should work. Why don't you try it out & let use know if it work & how well.

I'm currently uses rdesktop to connect to Windows Terminal Server & it work very well. Unfortunately I don't have access to a WinXP box to see if rdesktop work with RDP or not. So far, rdesktop work perfectly under Debain potato & RH8.

THX1139

Nov 3, 2002
If you do not have to get through a company firewall ... then install the VNC server onto this Windows computer and connect to the server at work using your favorite web browser using port 5009 (I think 5008 is for the server-end, and 5009 for the client-end). I've done this.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Not to be a dick about it, but can the Windows telnet client connect to a Linux machine? What about a Linux SSH client to a Windows SSHd? Not a dumb question at all, just wanted to throw this idea out there, just another way of looking at it ;)

mcveigh

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2000
my idea is a linux box running sshd and vnc client.
put a vnc server (most likely tight vnc) on the windows boxes.

I can ssh in securely to the linux box, and start an X session to use VNC to control the widows boxes.

:) hopefully I can fix most problems on the network w/o going into the office.

Workin'

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
I can ssh in securely to the linux box, and start an X session to use VNC to control the widows boxes.
That opens a small can of worms. To view an X session on the remote machine you are sitting in front of, that machine needs to run it's own X client. Which is easy if that machine happens to be running linux, but is not so easy if it's a Windows machine (well it's easy but not free).

An easier way would be to run the VNC client on your local machine, and use a SSH tunnel for a secure connection to whichever machine on the network you want to look at. Then you wouldn't have to mess with forwarding X sessions.

mcveigh

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Workin'
That opens a small can of worms. To view an X session on the remote machine you are sitting in front of, that machine needs to run it's own X client. Which is easy if that machine happens to be running linux, but is not so easy if it's a Windows machine (well it's easy but not free).

An easier way would be to run the VNC client on your local machine, and use a SSH tunnel for a secure connection to whichever machine on the network you want to look at. Then you wouldn't have to mess with forwarding X sessions.

I not sure what you are getting at.
Let me explain my idea a little more in detail. I have one linux box running redhat nagios, apache (for nagios), and sshd. I want to set this box up to only monitor the network and let me fix things that go wrong hopefully.

I'm sitting at home or somewhere else. I can ssh into the redhat box. I don't want to mess with setting upo sshd on all windows boxes.
ok I'm, in the linux box remotely and I use vnc to connect with windows boxen, all nice and secure (or is it) yes I know the remote machine would need to run an X session as well, but that doesn't concern me too much

lowtech1

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2000

If the servers are Win2k then you could try using Rdesktop or + the GUI client Terminal Server Client for Linux. This solution should also work with WinXP RDP as well.

If you don't need to see the GUI session then the best & quick solution as porposed above is SSH or Telnet.

Workin'

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
OK, I think I understand what you are wanting to do.

How about this - on you remote machine (at home or wherever), connect to the redhat box (which is running sshd and the vnc server) using the vnc client and an ssh tunneling client. So now you have a secure sshconnection to an x session on the redhat box (vnc server runs its own x session). Then on the redhat machine just run a vnc viewer session to look at the Windows boxes. I think this accomplishes what you are looking to do with the least amount of fuss and no need to mess with forwarding x. The connection would be secure between your remote machine and the redhat box, but the vnc session running between the redhat box and any windows boxes would not be secure on the lan, but that probably isn't a problem.

The only thing I'm not 100% sure about is if you'd be able to run a vnc client session "inside" the server session. I don't see why not, but you never know. I guess it would be easy enough to try.

IcemanJer

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2001
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
Not to be a dick about it, but can the Windows telnet client connect to a Linux machine? What about a Linux SSH client to a Windows SSHd? Not a dumb question at all, just wanted to throw this idea out there, just another way of looking at it ;)

Yes for both. Well, telnet to Linux assuming your Linux box allows incoming connection on port 23 and have the telnet daemon active. I've got OpenSSH server running on my win2k box, and any SSH client can connect to it. Although it's fairly useless since you can't really do much on the command line in Windows, but it's good for getting a secure tunnel.

IcemanJer

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Workin'
And I'm gonna have to vote for this option since it's a heck lot cleaner, and you don't have to deal with multiple X tunnelling.

TheOmegaCode

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2001
Yes for both. Well, telnet to Linux assuming your Linux box allows incoming connection on port 23 and have the telnet daemon active. I've got OpenSSH server running on my win2k box, and any SSH client can connect to it. Although it's fairly useless since you can't really do much on the command line in Windows, but it's good for getting a secure tunnel.
He was being facetious.
If the servers are Win2k then you could try using Rdesktop or + the GUI client Terminal Server Client for Linux. This solution should also work with WinXP RDP as well.

If you don't need to see the GUI session then the best & quick solution as porposed above is SSH or Telnet.
Don't use Telnet or Terminal Services.
That's probably the best thing to do.