How can I take ripped music from PC and put it to iPod?

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
I just bought an ipod and did some searching and came up empty handed.

I have a lot of CD's that I ripped to my computer, but when I drag them into Itunes, it says "cannot be played on this ipod", is there something I can do to automatically make these be able to be transferable to the ipod? Do I need a converter to convert the 2000+ songs? Or is there some simple process I can follow to simply drag the songs over?

ty

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
I tried that. I dragged the "Windows Media(TM) Audio" into the iTune's Library and then it said it would be converted into AAC format. However, the cd's are still: "Protected WMA format".. I own the Cd's but I have 100s of them, I don't want to re-rip them.. What can I do??

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
huh? I buy an Ipod to make all MY cd's play on it.. turns out you cannot even do that? Are you sure nothing can convert these?

Say I made a song with my band, and used software to make it "protected" is there anything "legal" to make it "unprotected" so then I could get this in my ipod? This is really dumb otherwise.. I dont even know why i bought the thing

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
I don't understand why music you ripped would be in protected WMA format. I never had that problem.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
You could convert them if they were not copy protected, but they are so........

You ripped to a proprietary format that was copy protected and you are blaiming Apple?

Rerip everything using CDex / Lame or EAC and this time rip to standard MP3 format. It will help in the future when trying to move the files cross platform and MP3 has no copy protection and is supported by everything, so it will work on any platform and any player.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
It sounds like you ripped using Windows Media Player, and didn't pay attention to the checkbox saying the files would only be for use with this computer. You needed to un-check that, or use a better ripping program.

FYI, Apple's own AAC format sounds great at 160 kbps (default is 128 kbps) and iTunes has pretty good CD ripping built in.

Say I made a song with my band, and used software to make it "protected" is there anything "legal" to make it "unprotected" so then I could get this in my ipod?
Use that same software to unprotect it? And/or keep an unprotected version of the song?

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
you ripped the music with DRM in it. it's not the iPod's fault. since the iPod doesn't support wma (MS licensing) iTunes converts it. however, it is illegal to strip the DRM. you could search for a program to strip the DRM or rerip your CD's into iTunes with AAC at 192kbps. sound great.

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
It sounds like you ripped using Windows Media Player, and didn't pay attention to the checkbox saying the files would only be for use with this computer. You needed to un-check that, or use a better ripping program.

FYI, Apple's own AAC format sounds great at 160 kbps (default is 128 kbps) and iTunes has pretty good CD ripping built in.

Say I made a song with my band, and used software to make it "protected" is there anything "legal" to make it "unprotected" so then I could get this in my ipod?
Use that same software to unprotect it? And/or keep an unprotected version of the song?

i agree that aac sounds better than mp3 but i do mp3 because it is nearly universal. will play on everything. i would rather rip a mp3 @ 192 and have it play on everything than at 128 and have it play on only a handful of devices...

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
also, why does everybody recommend cdex? i have used audiograbber for years with the newest version of lame and then compared them to the cdex copy, and they sound the same, but audiograbber is faster.

please enlighten me...
bob

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I recommend Exact Audio Copy because it does additional reads to test and correct for disc errors from scratches and dust or fingerprints. I think cdex has some similar errror-checking.

With a clean problem-free disc, CDEx, Audiograbber and Exact Audio Copy should all produce exactly the same mp3 files if they use the same LAME encoder settings.