How can I play these songs on my Dad's Stereo

NightDreamer

Jun 30, 2013
I purchased 377 tracks of Bach for my father as a gift. I have them on Amazon cloud and I guess I can download them to my computer or MP3 player too if I want.

My question is how can I make them playable at my Dad's house? He doesn't have a computer. He has a 39" LCD Tv (no idea what kind of inputs but it's relatively new) and a Stereo (2ch) receiver and a blue ray player (basic, no internet).

Other than burning them to dvd's, is there something I can buy that I can download this music to that he can play on his home stereo?

LoveMachine

May 8, 2012
If the TV or BluRay has a USB port, it MIGHT be able to play them if you load all the songs on a larger capacity thumb drive, and you can run an analog (RCA) or possibly optical TOSLINK cable to the receiver.

NightDreamer

Jun 30, 2013
I don't think it has USB. It does say this though:

"Connection for smartphone or portable music players

A stereo mini-plug supports all smartphones and portable music players, enabling you to connect and listen to all your portable music and devices right in your living room."

So does this mean I can put the songs on a mp3 player, hook it to the receiver, and he can listen to it on his stereo receiver? This is probably a dumb question but I have never hooked an MP3 player to a home stereo, so I don't know what kind of plug that requires.

sushiwarrior

Mar 17, 2010
I don't think it has USB. It does say this though:

"Connection for smartphone or portable music players

A stereo mini-plug supports all smartphones and portable music players, enabling you to connect and listen to all your portable music and devices right in your living room."

So does this mean I can put the songs on a mp3 player, hook it to the receiver, and he can listen to it on his stereo receiver? This is probably a dumb question but I have never hooked an MP3 player to a home stereo, so I don't know what kind of plug that requires.

If it has an aux jack, then just an MP3 player and a standard cable. If it doesn't, get a 3.5mm to RCA cable and use that.

sushiwarrior

Mar 17, 2010
So stereo min-plug and aux jack are same thing?

So will he get full quality sound from an MP3 player that way?

So if I got something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA1CZ0EA6197

What cable would I need for that?

Well, it's going to be 100% of the quality that the player is capable of. There's not usually any other way to output from an MP3 player (besides USB, with iPods and compatible receivers).

You'd need a 3.5mm cable. like this

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Some DVD Players can play MP3. Sony made one that is region free and it has a USB input. So can you play MP3 files on a TV VIA A usb flash drive? My Samsung TV plays all kinds of video files from both a USB FLASH DRIVE and also from a USB attached backup hard drive. Never tried it with MP3.

NightDreamer

Jun 30, 2013
Yeah but he doesn't want to listen to Bach on a tv. He want's to listen to it on his big tower speakers and subwoofer through the stereo receiver.

Slammy1

Platinum Member
Apr 8, 2003
You can connect the RCA out of a player through a 3.5 mm stereo adapter to connect to a receiver. Should be cheap to get an mp3 player. Also, burn the songs to CD?

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Yeah but he doesn't want to listen to Bach on a tv. He want's to listen to it on his big tower speakers and subwoofer through the stereo receiver.

I get what you're saying, but the blu-ray player is hooked to the receiver, isn't it?

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Unless your dad is tech savvy burning them to disc is probably your best bet. Or maybe put some on CDs so he can listen to them in the car too.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Does dad have wireless internet? Can you spend a few more bucks to bring him into the modern age? If yes, I believe a Roku (or similar) can stream directly from Amazon cloud. Plus, he can use it for netflix, etc.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
I don't see how that's relevant, I'm sure it doesn't have a usb port.

It will play discs. And the sounds goes to the receiver, right?

And a blu-ray player without a USB port is an exercise in futility, is it not? They should be providing an offline method of updating firmware.

NightDreamer

Jun 30, 2013
Does dad have wireless internet? Can you spend a few more bucks to bring him into the modern age? If yes, I believe a Roku (or similar) can stream directly from Amazon cloud. Plus, he can use it for netflix, etc.

Yeah he doesn't own a computer but he has wireless internet......LOL

Lewy

Aug 22, 2001
They are cheap (under $50 check fat wallet) come with 4 gb of memory which is expandable via a micrsd slot and will play mp3's flacs etc. just get a mini to rca adapter online or at RadioShack ( they carry the Sansa too.) this small player sounds amazing. I hook mine up to
friends systems all the time and the flac files sound like cd's. You can put a lot of mp3's on 4GB's.

Lewy

Aug 22, 2001
Maybe your dad has a birthday coming up or your mom could help? I use my Sansa in the car
with a cassette adapter and my daughter uses hers with an fm adapter but they really shine with a microsd and lots of cd's ripped to flacs when you have some good earbuds.

Some dvd/cd players will handle mp3's you could try loading yours on to a dvd or cd and see if they play on his player. My daughter does that with cd's for her 2003 Honda.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
I have a Sansa Clip that I paid $30 for about 2 years ago. I hook it to the receiver in my office with a cable I bought from Amazon for $1.
Cable

But, I'd probably just buy him the CDs.

Last edited:

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
I'd just pick up any older used mp3 player. Plug the headphone jack into the aux port on the front/side of the receiver. Set receiver input to "aux." Select songs via MP3 player.

I dont think i've ever seen a receiver that doesn't have an aux jack on it. Worst case you get a headphone to RCA (red/white) adapter and plug it into the back of the receiver like any other device.

SuperChief

Aug 23, 2013
You could put them into Google's cloud and then play them with Chromecast, but that's another $35 and he has to have WiFI in the house

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
How about a lower priced tablet? For now he can use it to just play the music using the headphone output to the stereo system, and the "big" screen of even the smaller 7" units will be more old eyes friendly than a little MP3 player. If you choose carefully, you can even get HDMI output to hook up to the HDTV and play some videos. So for now it can be a friendly music player, with some room for growth in the future.

I have a Hisense Sero 7 Pro from Walmart that I've been reasonably pleased with. Think of it as exactly the same thing as a Nexus 7 8GB with a Tegra 3 CPU and same screen, but with these differences:
- No coating on screen, so picks up more fingerprints.
- Has mini HDMI output.
- Has micro SD slot (I use a 64GB micro SDXC formatted FAT32 and it works!).
- Has front/rear cameras.
- Supports OTG (except storage, for some reason).
It was $130.

There are also $80 tablets selling at various places online which have lower resolution screens and slower CPUs, but which may do the job. Heck, Walmart has the Hisense Sero 7 LT for $80, but the generic ones online usually have double the 8GB built-in storage, plus HDMI output which the LT version does not have.

darth maul

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Roku, or Chromecast. Roku can steam directly from a amazon cloud account (and can do a thousand more content streams from Netflix, Vudu, Mgo, etc etc etc... Or Chromecast, which is more limited cause he would need a smart phone or a tablet, with all the music on it, then buy a app like Avia that can stream local content to a Chromecast. Avia and 9 or 10 more apps were just released as Chromecast compatible.