How can I hook up a wireless router to my wired home phoneline router?

android

Oct 12, 1999
Hi,

I just bought an ATT wireless router. I currently have a Panasonic wired homephoneline router on my DSL modem. The modem output goes into the Panasonic wired router, and then it broadcasts internet through the phoneline to the other desktop computers in the house. I would like to leave the Panasonic hooked up.

What I would like to do is ADD the wireless router, so I could use my laptop in the backyard and from the couch. But I am puzzled at how to do it. The panasonic has only two networking jacks IN FROM MODEM, and TO COMPUTER/INTERNET HUB. The main computer is plugged into the TO COMPUTER jack.

The ATT wireless router has a WAN jack, and 4 LAN jacks.

Here's what I tried so far:

1. I plugged the modem cable into the panasonic hub, and then ran a cable from the TO COMPUTER/HUB jack to the WAN jack of the Wireless router, and then ran a cable from the Wireless LAN jack into the main computer. No internet on the main computer.

2. I also tried running the modem into the WAN jack on the wireless router, and then running a cable from the LAN jack on the wireless to the Panasonic IN FROM MODEM jack. This didn't work either.

Can anyone help? I am wondering if the problem lies in how I configure the wireless router, in terms of IP, gateway, etc.

I'm a horrible novice to wireless routing, so would appreciate help. Also, I want to keep the Panasonic hooked in, because I prefer to do most of my critical internet business without wireless, thanks to Airsnort and the like.

Thanks in advance for your help.

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
there seems to be something missing you're not telling us. does the panasonic router have THREE jacks? 1 for the mode, one for a computer or hub(switch) and a 3rd which plugs into the phone jack on the wall? If so.. this is easy, but you may need a cross over cable.

power up the wireless router and plugin the main computer to configure it. Disable the DHCP function and change the router to Gateway mode if you can. Best of all, make sure the Switch (LAN) side of it is talking the same subnet (x.x.x.100 or x.x.x.1 and such) as your panasonic router. Keep your main pc plugged in and, if you can switch the router to a gateway mode, plug a normal cable from the panasonic computer jack to the WAN port on the wireless. If there is no gateway mode, use a crossover cable and connect the computer out on the panasonic to one of the LAN switch ports on the wireless. This escentialy turns your wireless router into an access point with a switch built in.

android

Oct 12, 1999
Yes, there is a phoneline out jack, which I didn't mess with. Good suggestions, I don't think there is a gateway mode, so I guess I will need a crossover cable, which I will have to see if I have, somewhere. I'll try these and report back.