How can I format my website to default to an 800x600 display?

mulder

Oct 9, 1999
I am creating a website project using FP2000; I know, but's it the software the class uses. What I need to have happen is when someone with their resolution set higher than 800x600 to still see the website in 800x600. I don't want the site to adjust any higher when the resolution gets bigger. Make sense?

I have figured out that when using tables to just set them to a max of 775 or so pixels wide. But is there a better more efficient way? Thanks.

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
nope, that's the BEST way to do it.

have the entire page rest in a table with a single cell that is 800 pixels (or slightly less)

mulder, i hate those kinds of pages :p

mulder

Oct 9, 1999
You do!?! When I previewed the page in 1600x1200 resolution, it looked terrible. My menus were messed up and tables really messed up. What tips do you suggest? I'm open to comments.

Cyph3r

Jan 20, 2000
One possibility is to actually create menu graphics that are relevent to each resolution(a LOT of work IMHO) but that can be done. If, however you don't want to deal with that, then create the graphics to be in the SIZE that you want and then put them into a table as you've already found out..

This is one of the main reasons people try to keep the graphics to a minimal and use text which can be reformted by the browser on the fly depending on the resolution..

I, on the other hand, use no grpahics on my webpage..Regards

mulder

Oct 9, 1999
Thanks for the tip; I'll keep that in mind. I'm always open to suggestions. Who knows it might make it look better to lose the graphics I'm using.