How can I flip a video vertically?

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
I have a video from someone that she shot upside down from her phone.

What I want to do is to flip the video vertically to be able to view it properly.

What is the easiest way to do this without degrading or changing the quality or format?

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
You can use VLC for simple viewing purposes without altering the file.
qZvIH8c.png

I think some video containers do support a rotation flag in the metadata. But you're still at the mercy of the playback software supporting that flag. Elsewise you'll need to use something like Avidemux with a rotation/fip filter and re-encode.

Last edited:

jaedaliu

Platinum Member
Feb 25, 2005
Windows Movie Maker has that ability. As to your other part about decreasing quality, I dunno.

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
I dont want to decrease the quality. I just want to flip it and I dont want to use VLC just for viewing, I want the change to be permanent

thanks

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
I dont want to decrease the quality. I just want to flip it and I dont want to use VLC just for viewing, I want the change to be permanent

thanks

What format is the file?

Like I said, some containers can provide a rotation tag in the metadata (like rotate 180). But that's not universal in all containers and it's not universally supported in all players. In fact, from what I've read online elsewhere, I think it may be limited to quicktime (mov) files.

I dunno why there aren't any lossless rotation tools, like there are with jpegs, but I know of none. May be an issue with the way video codecs work.

edit: For tagging quicktime files (mov, mp4, m4v, etc..) use ffmpeg with these instructions. Requires playback via quicktime filters though. Dunno about other containers/formats.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15335073/can-i-set-rotation-field-for-a-video-stream-with-ffmpeg

UQGdCJt.png

(I don't have quicktime installed on my PC. So showing results on a mac.)

Last edited:

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
What format is the file?

Like I said, some containers can provide a rotation tag in the metadata (like rotate 180). But that's not universal in all containers and it's not universally supported in all players. In fact, from what I've read online elsewhere, I think it may be limited to quicktime (mov) files.

I dunno why there aren't any lossless rotation tools, like there are with jpegs, but I know of none. May be an issue with the way video codecs work.

edit: For tagging quicktime files (mov, mp4, m4v, etc..) use ffmpeg with these instructions. Requires playback via quicktime filters though. Dunno about other containers/formats.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15335073/can-i-set-rotation-field-for-a-video-stream-with-ffmpeg

UQGdCJt.png

(I don't have quicktime installed on my PC. So showing results on a mac.)

it's an MP4 file dude

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
For the first time, I decided to use Nero Video 12 which comes as part of my Nero 2 Platinum package (which I've never used anything else but the Nero Burning ROM before), and to my surprise I was able to flip the video easily from the Effects > Transition menu

Thanks for all the input above guys

2ekjink.png

Deejay P

Sep 13, 2019
This "flipped video / slide" problem STILL persists as at Sept. 2019! Admittedly I'm using an older version of Nero Vision...but!!

MY INVESTIGATION RESULTS? After carefully comparing the file-specs between those files that flipped and those that didn't, the ONLY - consistent - difference is this: "BIT DEPTH."

As in: the ones that did NOT flip show a Bit Depth Size of "24;" while the video slides tat DID FLIP all have a Bit Depth of "32."

So...if ALL else fails, I SUGGEST you try adjusting your graphic bit-depth size to - if not exactly "24, then "32 OR LESS."

That said, I still like NERO; but really wish their tech team would either: (a) “flip-proof” their video making programs, or (b) make a concerted effort to review the persistent problems which fora like these highlight....and actually get around to DOING something about fixing them!

Deejay