How Can I Find Unlocked GSM Phones Supported in US?

Only1KW

Sep 13, 2013
I'm currently considering signing up for prepaid service with a company that says that I should be able to use any unlocked GSM phone with their service. I'm looking for a website that allows me to search all available phones on the market that support GSM along with a few other criteria (such as supporting 4G and, if still available, a slide-out QWERTY keyboard).

I've found a few websites that allow me to perform this search (e.g. Amazon and PhoneScoop), but the issue I'm encountering is that while many phones support GSM, only a subset of them support GSM in the US, and the sites don't allow differentiating by which portions of the world the GSM on the phone supports.

The best site I could find was GSMArena, which allows me to select which GSM bands I want the phone to support. According to several sites (such as Wikipedia), the 850 and 1900 GSM bands are what are required for US support. So I searched with that restriction and as part of searching, I found the Motorola DROID 4 XT894. However, additional searching on that phone revealed this xda developers forum post which states that even though the hardware supports it, "The ROM itself has a baked-in block for GSM in America."

In summary, is there any way for me to determine which phones I can purchase and expect to work with my new service without spending hours researching each individual phone?

Only1KW

Sep 13, 2013
I'm looking for a QWERTY keyboard if available, but I realize that style is going out so I'm interested in finding possible phones without them too.

I found Phone Arena in my searches also, but I didn't list it as it didn't provide any way at all to search by radio type.

Chocu1a

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2009
Google Nexus 4, or soon to be the released 5, is your best gsm option.

turn_pike

Mar 4, 2012
Hi I bought an HTC One Developers edition a and it worked with T-Mobile when I tried it last month.

Heard in some areas you have to wait until T-Mobile refarm the existing network before you can get LTE.

Supported bands

HSPA/WCDMA: 850/1900/2100 MHz
GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
LTE: 700/850/AWS/1900 MHz (US)

Last edited:

paperwastage

Golden Member
May 25, 2010
Gsmarena isn't always accurate either

Slide out keyboard will be difficult to fulfill... Think DROID 3 is one of the newer android keyboard phones, but it might be difficult to get an unlock code