How can I find cheap airline tickets?

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I have heard many ads on the radio advertising sites with cheap tickets, but I do not know what would be considered a 'good' price. My sister wants to come visit around Dec 22 and stay for about 2 weeks. I live in Newnan, GA, which is close to Atlanta.

Any recommendations?

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
You can do a search for the multitudes of other threads on this topic, including one started today and find answers.

Orbitz.com

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I usually go to US Airways - I found round trip tickets from FL (Jacksonville) to NH (Manchester) for $98.. :Q

weezergirl

Diamond Member
May 24, 2000
Originally posted by: pyonir
You can do a search for the multitudes of other threads on this topic, including one started today and find answers.

Orbitz.com

To tell you the truth, i've never bought a ticket from orbitz. i've never had a best price quote from there and i buy tickets very frequently. perhaps it's the cities i'm looking for. but anyways, if you really want to find the cheapest prices for airline tickets these are the sites that i visit in order. i write down the price for each one and compare. there isn't really one source that will give u the best price consistently. they are always changing.

First I visit all the major airlines. Usually they have special fares going on at certain times and if you are lucky you can get in on them. these prices are usually not listed thru sites such as orbitz or hotwire etc. (united, delta, southwest, american, etc.)
I also check other smaller, less well known airlines. (alaska air, jetblue, spirit air)
next i check hotwire (a really great one if you are flexible with your times) and the best one out of all the popular ones such as orbitz, cheaptickets, etc.
and finally priceline (i've bought the most tickets from here, usually u can find a coupon code on the net as well) - also for bidding i put in an outrageously low price and if they don't accept it they tell me their lowest price which gives me the option to bid again if i really want knowing the price i will have to pay. this service as well as buying directly from the airline are the best ways in my opinion.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: weezergirl
Originally posted by: pyonir

Orbitz.com

To tell you the truth, i've never bought a ticket from orbitz. i've never had a best price quote from there and i buy tickets very frequently. perhaps it's the cities i'm looking for. but anyways, if you really want to find the cheapest prices for airline tickets these are the sites that i visit in order. i write down the price for each one and compare. there isn't really one source that will give u the best price consistently. they are always changing.

First I visit all the major airlines. Usually they have special fares going on at certain times and if you are lucky you can get in on them. these prices are usually not listed thru sites such as orbitz or hotwire etc. (united, delta, southwest, american, etc.)
I also check other smaller, less well known airlines. (alaska air, jetblue, spirit air)
next i check hotwire (a really great one if you are flexible with your times) and the best one out of all the popular ones such as orbitz, cheaptickets, etc.
and finally priceline (i've bought the most tickets from here, usually u can find a coupon code on the net as well) - also for bidding i put in an outrageously low price and if they don't accept it they tell me their lowest price which gives me the option to bid again if i really want knowing the price i will have to pay. this service as well as buying directly from the airline are the best ways in my opinion.

I've bought tickets off of orbitz a couple times. Sometimes i do find cheaper flights on major airlines websites. but the couple of times i have bought from orbitz, they were the cheapest, and trust me, i search a LOT when i search for airplane tickets. I can't use priceline or hotwire for the most part because i have to fly at certain times.

Jfur

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2001
Originally posted by: CZroe
I have heard many ads on the radio advertising sites with cheap tickets, but I do not know what would be considered a 'good' price. My sister wants to come visit around Dec 22 and stay for about 2 weeks. I live in Newnan, GA, which is close to Atlanta.

Any recommendations?

To be honest, airline tickets are pretty much the ONLY thing I DON'T buy online. I travel often, and I check the major sites dutifully before each trip, but I have NEVER had a lower price online than I can get from a good in-person phone call to the travel agencies. For example, the lowest online price quoted for my latest trip (Orbits, Expedia, Travelocity, etc.) was over $1000. I just picked up the tickets about 15 minutes ago for $580 at a brick and mortar... So look at both electronic and regular ticketing sources.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Jfur
To be honest, airline tickets are pretty much the ONLY thing I DON'T buy online. I travel often, and I check the major sites dutifully before each trip, but I have NEVER had a lower price online than I can get from a good in-person phone call to the travel agencies. For example, the lowest online price quoted for my latest trip (Orbits, Expedia, Travelocity, etc.) was over $1000. I just picked up the tickets about 15 minutes ago for $580 at a brick and mortar... So look at both electronic and regular ticketing sources.

We tried that once. Paid $20 more because of their service fee, than if we got them online. If you are buying *only* plane tickets, they are virtually the same online as at B&M. If you are adding rental cars and the like, the price can be very different because of partnerships.