How can I avoid the requirement of using friends or acquaintances to complete coursework?

laurencurtis

May 22, 2018
A friend of mine recently sent me a game he made as part of his coursework and asked me to make a Youtube video of it. He was supposed to get 3 people to do the same in order to get better a better grade.

I'm happy to help my friend out this once but this is concerning for me because the professor asks non-enrolled people to do gradable work. Even if the 'external dependencies' are willing to do the work, they might not be able to due to other commitments, which could conceivably put unnecessary strain on the relationship.

I was told the video can be a short, 1 minute video, with you talking mentioning the title but the amount of work required isn't the point; the point is that any amount is required at all.

Assuming I was the student in question and asked to find reviewers for my game demo, what is the best way to refuse? I'd think the 2nd paragraph of this post is enough if reworded into an email but I'm not an academic, and there might be some nuances I'm not considering.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
Is the instructor grading the game reviews themselves, or the student's ability to find folks willing to give his game a review? I'm betting any student who gets three reviews posted to YouTube gets full credit for that portion of the assignment regardless of the quality of the reviews. If so, nothing wrong with that.

What would you do if you were a working game developer and your employer asked you to go find some folks to review your game demo? Tell your boss no? Unless you want to build your game in a vacuum, I would think knowing how to get free feedback would be a valuable skill.

Last edited:

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
More than likely this is more or less "extra credit" which was never been uncommon in all my years of school. No different than attending some sort of meeting/session/talk outside of school for bonus points.

However, if this is a part of the base grade, I would commend it, as it implements a fiber of sales which is extremely useful in the real job world. Spend a handful of minutes persuading 5-10 people to do the 1 minute worth of work, it's not that hard.

Not So Mild

Jun 9, 2017
If you don't want to review his game, then let him know that you'd rather not. Let him know you are tied up and don't have time to make that commitment. However, I'm going to bet it took you longer to find this forum and post your opinion than it would take to record the video for him. To me it sounds like you'd rather spend more time not helping your friend, than you would help your friend get a passing grade on a participation project.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
OP must have posted a video of his reply on YouTube but forgot to give us the link.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Yeah, this post seems fishy... this isn't the kind of question a first time poster would ask a bunch of strangers.

Is this some sort of weird ploy from Purch to drive up page views?

Feb 25, 2011
Pay people that are not on your list of "do no use".
That. IRL, if I want a bunch of fake reviews of my new game on Steam, I'm buying some people pizza, at least.

If dude wants his friends to take time, he should be offering the usual college currency. (Beer, pizza, donuts, helping you move, etc.)