How can I access the Fn key on a regular keyboard?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I have a laptop with a bad built in keyboard on which I use a regular external keyboard. The regular keyboard doesn't have a Fn key. Is there any way to get to the functions the Fn key accesses using the regular keyboard? I checked the on screen keyboard and it doesn't have the key either.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
To my knowledge, the Fn key (which I generally pronounce as it's spelled - the effin key) exists so that laptop makers can cram more functionality into fewer keys. Just another modifier key.
Maybe a keyboard that allows some kind of programmable functionality?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Thanks for the replies. Who knows maybe someday someone will make an external keyboard with the Fn key.

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
You don't need an FN key on a standard keyboard, that's why there isn't one. Multimedia keyboards will more than likely have a function lock instead of a function key. Laptops have smaller keyboards, and thus many buttons have multiple functions. That's why there's an FN key. Without multiple functions, a standard keyboard has no need for a function key.

In other words, there aren't any functions for the key to reach on a normal keyboard like on your laptop.

Steve

Lifer
May 2, 2004
www.chicagopipeband.com
Laptops have keyboard-based Fn features that desktops don't have, such as brightness adjustment and single/dual display schemes. Sure, you could do it in software, but you could also use a keyboard shortcut ;)

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: sm8000
Originally posted by: techs
My SmartBoard has a Function (Fn) key.

Well, I don't know that it'll give you whatever functionality you're looking for, unless you can make it into a keyboard shortcut somehow with the Fn key. What do you need the keyboard to do exactly?

The lappy doesn't have a screen brightness built into the bios nor any on screen software to do it nor any video software. I want to brighten the screen and I need some combo of Fn+Key. I don't know if that keyboard will access the controls but since the laptop screen is so dark its worth a shot.

Tu13erhead

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
The video drivers should provide that functionality, have you tried updating them? What kind of laptop is it?

Video drivers don't change the brightness of the LCD backlight.

Slikkster

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2000
Glad to help. I was wondering about this myself, as I'm in the process of getting my laptop hooked up via a transcoder to my plasma TV, with a wireless keyboard/mouse. So, it's info I needed, too.