How can conservative Republics justify attacking performers.....

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
How can conservative Republics justify attacking performers for stating their political views then support the likes of Reagan and Arnold?

Please, one of you hypocrites, explain this to everyone.

When Susan Sarandon or Tim Robbins, The Dixie Chicks or Sean Penn use their Constitutional right to free speech to criticize what they view as wrong you people blast them as traitors and Communists and tell everyone performers should keep their views to themselves.

Then you support washed up "B" movie actors and action hero molesters.

You are as transparent as Saran Wrap.

You aren't fooling anyone but yourselves.

Please, justify your hypocrisy for us.

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
I think this is a human thing. I'm a flaming liberal about most things and I'm not too keen on supporting Rush Limbaugh or Dr. Laura.

Second, it's been my observation that conservatives shoot people who threaten too much change. However, every time you hear about a speaker being shouted down or heckled, it's almost always a conservative speaker.

There's plenty of room for stupidity on both sides.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Whitling
I think this is a human thing. I'm a flaming liberal about most things and I'm not too keen on supporting Rush Limbaugh or Dr. Laura.

Second, it's been my observation that conservatives shoot people who threaten too much change. However, every time you hear about a speaker being shouted down or heckled, it's almost always a conservative speaker.

Yeah, that's all well and good.

But how do conservative Republics justify telling performers who criticize anyone in the Bush administration they should be run out of the country while running performers for public office?

Hypocrisy. Plain and simple.

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
If by "running performers for office" you're referring to the Governator, Republicans didn't run him. He ran himself and the Republican majority (and much of the Democratic vote) slowly climbed aboard. As far as forcing entertainers out of business, DR. Laura was forced out of a slot on the San Francisco Bay Area's largest talk radio station and now hangs around at the bottom of the dial with the other right wing citizens (I'm tempted to say "right wing whackos," but, as President Nixon said after saying that they could bribe a witness and then realizing that he was on tape, "But that would be wrong.") citizens.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: BOBDN
Originally posted by: Whitling

Yeah, that's all well and good.

But how do conservative Republics justify telling performers who criticize anyone in the Bush administration they should be run out of the country while running performers for public office?

Hypocrisy. Plain and simple.

I am failing to see the hypocrisy. The liberals you mentioned got to use their freedom of speech and they are free to run for office.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
How can conservative Republics justify attacking performers for stating their political views then support the likes of Reagan and Arnold?

I'm not a conservative, but i can hazard a guess. I don't think that the right has a problem with a Susan Sarandon or Tim Robbins (or anyone else) expressing their opinion, but rather that the opinion gets greater exposure than most other citizens' opinions because of their celebrity status, thus seeming to give the opinion greater weight and a perception that their opinions are valued more than those of other citizens.

Also, when someone runs for political office, stating one's political views is somewhat customary, so blasting Arnold or Reagan for expressing theirs is stupid. I may not normally care what the political views of insert actor's name here are, but if he decides to run for Congress in my state, then i'll be quite interested indeed.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003

When Susan Sarandon or Tim Robbins, The Dixie Chicks or Sean Penn use their Constitutional right to free speech to criticize what they view as wrong you people blast them as traitors and Communists and tell everyone performers should keep their views to themselves.

I cannot answer for all conservatives, just as you shouldn't make assumptions about all conservatives. I am a conservative, and I have never said that anyone in Hollywood is a traitor or Communist and that they should keep their views to themselves. In fact, I quite enjoy hearing what they have to say, because it just proves their blatant stupidity.

The bottom line, I feel, is that Americans in general don't want to hear what Susan Sarandon or Tim Robbins have to say... and that is the beauty of our country. Everyone can say whatever they want, and everyone can listen to whatever they choose. However, we all have to live with the consequences of what we say and do. The Dixie Chicks had, and still have, every right to say what they said. However, Americans choose not to condone their statements, and now the Dixie Chicks are paying the consequences.

Freedom of speech does not come without consequences...

csf

Banned
Aug 5, 2001
Two things come to mind. First, a lot of it comes down to the way in which many celebrities get involved in politics. The problem with the Dixie Chicks, Sarandon, Streisand, etc is that they just use their celebrity as a bully puplit without ever actually doing anything (I know some celebs are actively involved with various political organizations, but the vast majority of them do nothing but throw money at interest groups and talk out their asses to the press). And when they do talk, a lot of what comes out are negative remarks, snide comments, and lots of complaining without any proposal of a well thought-out solution. "I hate Bush" isn't profound political commentary; "I think we need to reinvestigate the role of the UN in Iraqi reconstruction and offer such concessions as... to get them to assist us" is. Unfortunately most of the stuff that comes out is the former, and there's understandable backlash in the public because it just sounds whiny and irritating without anything constructive to offer. When you say nothing but negatives, people tend to percieve you as an ass and avoid you. And please, don't start that nonsense about how public backlash against political remarks constitutes some sort of oppression of free speech. When your career is based upon your public image, you have to avoid alienating a good percentage of the population if you want to stay successful. Celebs can still speak out with whatever political opinion they wish, and the public has the same right to express disagreement, criticize the celebrity, and boycott his products in response.

Second, Arnold is somewhat of an exception because he put his money where his mouth was and ran for office. As another poster said, this was his own doing, not the result of political maneuvering. Arnold also had somewhat of a past reputation for his interest in politics, so his candidacy did not just come out of nowhere, as it did with the Dixie Chicks. The main reason many Republicans backed him was because his celebrity (and moderate views) made him a much more electable candidate than any conservative, and it makes sense to support the candidate who you think has the best shot of winning, provided that his views generally coincide with your own. Another thing that attracts people about Arnold is that, save the last minute mudslinging with Davis in the campaign, his political comments have been very positive and he is starting to make efforts to win the support of Democrats rather than attacking them as the enemy. Granted he has been vague, but instead of just trashing people who don't share his opinion, he has taken a very optimistic tone in his speeches, and that's a lot more attractive to the public than the antagonistic way many other celebrities have acted in voicing their political dissent.

On another note, please cut out all the ad hominems and insulting remarks about anyone who disagrees with you. It's hard to give you any creedence when every other sentence is some nasty remark about conservatives or Bush or whomever. It doesn't make your argument any stronger; on the contrary it makes you look like you're trying to fill holes in your logic by throwing out insults, and just looks immature. Are you trying to win people over to your side or just irritate people? It clearly seems like the latter, because if you wanted to get people who disagree with you to change their minds, you'd actually be civil instead of just offensive.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: glenn1

I'm not a conservative, but i can hazard a guess. I don't think that the right has a problem with a Susan Sarandon or Tim Robbins (or anyone else) expressing their opinion, but rather that the opinion gets greater exposure than most other citizens' opinions because of their celebrity status, thus seeming to give the opinion greater weight and a perception that their opinions are valued more than those of other citizens.

Also, when someone runs for political office, stating one's political views is somewhat customary, so blasting Arnold or Reagan for expressing theirs is stupid. I may not normally care what the political views of insert actor's name here are, but if he decides to run for Congress in my state, then i'll be quite interested indeed.

I think you bring up a good point, glenn. There is a difference between a well-known person stating their opinions and a person running for office stating theirs.

It seems that many famous people assume that just because they are popular, we want to hear their opinion...

SViscusi

Golden Member
Apr 12, 2000

No one can justify the hypocrisy. Conservatives have no problem with a celebrity stating their opinion as long as they agree with it, see Dennis Miller.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: SViscusi

No one can justify the hypocrisy. Conservatives have no problem with a celebrity stating their opinion as long as they agree with it, see Dennis Miller.

Yes, but you hear folks on the left complaining about miller expressing his opinions. You dont hear miller complaining about the folks that disagree with him.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: charrison
Yes, but you hear folks on the left complaining about miller expressing his opinions. You dont hear miller complaining about the folks that disagree with him.
Really? Who and when? He's quite welcome to express his opinions. My complaint with Miller is he's not funny any more.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
Really? Who and when? He's quite welcome to express his opinions. My complaint with Miller is he's not funny any more.

I have read such complaints on liberal forums. If you dont find him funny, dont watch him. See how easy this is.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002

I have read such complaints on liberal forums. If you dont find him funny, dont watch him. See how easy this is.
I don't watch him anymore. But you're changing the subject.

You made a claim. I challeged the claim. You fail to substantiate your claim. I call BS. You lose. See how easy this is?

I've heard other people say they don't find Miller funny any more. I've never heard anyone say he doesn't have the right to say it. I think you made it up just to try to refute SViscusi. Unfortunately for you, "folks on the left" actually tend to support the First Amendment, unlike their neo-"conservative" counterparts.

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
how do conservative Republics justify telling performers who criticize anyone in the Bush administration they should be run out of the country

no, no, you've got your facts wrong again,
the Republicans aren't telling them to leave the country,
THE PERFORMERS THEMSELVES are saying they're going to leave the country...

"I'm frightened to think of a Republican in office, especially one raised by a father who was in the CIA. I'm moving to a different country if little Damien II gets elected" - Eddie Vedder

"the German magazine Focus, which quotes Basinger as saying that her husband would flee America if Bush beats Al Gore." - Alec Baldwin

"Basinger, who co-starred with her husband in "The Getaway," would stick with Baldwin if he decided to make good on his threat to get away" Kim Bassinger

"If George Bush is elected president, I'm leaving for France.'' - Robert Altman

"If Bush wins, I'm going to leave the country and spend the rest of my life in France." Pierre Salinger

"promised to leave the country if George Bush the elder was elected to a second term in 1992" Barbra Striesand

heck...i'm not trying to influence their decision to leave one bit...its ok with me.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
the difference between dennis miller and tim robbins is that dennis miller has built his career on witty political commentary, so maybe he is at least somewhat qualified to say something. last i checked tim robbins is a decent actor without much other qualifications.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

I don't watch him anymore. But you're changing the subject.

You made a claim. I challeged the claim. You fail to substantiate your claim. I call BS. You lose. See how easy this is?

I've heard other people say they don't find Miller funny any more. I've never heard anyone say he doesn't have the right to say it. I think you made it up just to try to refute SViscusi. Unfortunately for you, "folks on the left" actually tend to support the First Amendment, unlike their neo-"conservative" counterparts.

What part did I not substantiate. I have read and heard liberals complain about miller. ANd how did i change the subject by answering your question.

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

Maybe if they offered themselves as candidates for a public office they would be taken more seriously by those of differing views. As it stands though they simply use their status to critisize and demonize without having to actually stand the test of the electorate. Let any one of them run for office and have to backup their banterings and i think you will see the voting publics judgement on the fitness of their ideas. bsically the difference is put up or shutup. Swarzenegger and Reagan not only spoke up but they also put up. That is the difference.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Ah, this is lovely....another thread in which BOBDN has taken it upon himself to show us all how weapons grade stupid he really is.

It's a treat.

But let's follow this moron's logic to it's conclusion.

Even though I think that Tim Sarandon is a liberal blowhard, you've certainly never heard me state he should be muzzled. Just like you, BOBDN, the Dixie Chicks were disrespectful toward our president, and just like them, I'm free to express my displeasure at whatever they may say that may, or may not, offend my sensibilities.

"Supporting" an actor turned politician is no different than supporting anyone who dares to voice an opinion. Just because I treat mentally ill morons like you with contempt, BOBDN, doesn't make me a hypocrite because I happen to support the opinion of someone else that I might happen to agree with. You're no different than Babs (except she's rich and has a smaller rack than you), so why should I treat her any different than I would treat you?

Just like most of BOBDN's idiotic stammerings on this forum, the premise of this thread is based on a lie.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Corn
Ah, this is lovely....another thread in which BOBDN has taken it upon himself to show us all how weapons grade stupid he really is.

It's a treat.

Even though I think that Tim Sarandon is a liberal blowhard, you've certainly never heard me state he should be muzzled. Just like you, BOBDN, the Dixie Chicks were disrespectful toward our president, and just like them, I'm free to express my displeasure at whatever they may say that may, or may not, offend my sensibilities.

"Supporting" an actor turned politician is no different than supporting anyone who dares to voice an opinion. Just because I treat mentally ill morons like you with contempt, BOBDN, doesn't make me a hypocrite because I happen to support the opinion of someone else that I might happen to agree with. You're no different than Babs (except she's rich and has a smaller rack than you), so why should I treat her any different than I would treat you?

Just like most of BOBDN's idiotic stammerings on this forum, the premise of this thread is based on a lie.

Vintage Corn especially the part about the lie. Hehe. Haven't figured out yet that how you feel about him is how you feel about yourself?

Ah me, the truth belongs to he who throws the greatest insult.

Pers

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix
the difference between dennis miller and tim robbins is that dennis miller has built his career on witty political commentary, so maybe he is at least somewhat qualified to say something. last i checked tim robbins is a decent actor without much other qualifications.

last i checked arnold was a bodybuilder and a lousy actor

bush was an overpriveledged coke fiend.

Pers

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Corn

It's a treat.

hah...i like bobdn and think you're an idiot...

the irony