How Bullet Proof Is FuseTalk v2.1?

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Guess we just found out :|

Learned my lesson about backing up my posts... again! I thought this crap was behind us. Damn.

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
That wasn't FuseTalk. That was a hardware problem. Dixit Anand:

<< As you may have realized we had a outage on the forums for a period today. This issue has been tracked down to be a fault with the database server that holds and serves all of the posts that are made in the forums. Unfortunately the error, which was hardware related that took down the forum's database array happened to corrupt the forums database. Luckily we back up the forums every morning at 3:00AM (EST) and thus were able to restore from our backup. Unfortunately any messages posted after then were lost, we apologize for the inconvenience. >>

Rebel Yell (Billy Idol)

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Why exactly did they switch to Fusetalk? Wouldn't that have been considered a &quot;hardware problem&quot; too?

hippy

Oct 9, 1999
And come to think... after all this time, Ornery... After such a lull, I thought your bitchin days were actually over.

... silly me.:p

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I think I put a little more time into my posts than the average nef around here. SOB, I back up those posts religiously too. Of course today I got careless and look what happens :|

Anyway, the point I was making, Denis is that we switched to Fusetalk because the old BBS software couldn't hack it. How is it that the software was blamed before and now it's blamed on the hardware?

I read Anand's post in Forum Issues. Sounds like the investigation is ongoing. Guess we'll see in the end. In the mean time, I'm backing up every damn word, no matter what! Grumble, grumble... :|

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
Happy holidays to you, my friend. Grab a 'smoke' and relax. I'm sending you a 'special celebrity link' (cough-Britney Spears revealed-cough) in a PM to make you feel happier. :)

BTW, I also had to find out which of my invitation messages got nuked and redo them. Thank heaven, the crash did nothing to my black book.

I love paper. :p

The Mule (Deep Purple)

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Thanks for the offer, but the last time I tried to reply to a PM, it was botched up too. Like my PC, I'll settle for slow and stable over &quot;speedy&quot; bells and whistles.

If FuseTalk can weather the traffic that goes on here, it is truly an awesome application. At this point though, I feel like I've been lulled into a false sense of security.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Excuse me, but how far back does the Archive of messages go? It seems to only go back to December 3rd. Uh, did we just lose about a years worth of posts in that crash?

I don't know whether to scream, cry, throw a fit or puke!

ArkAoss

Banned
Aug 31, 2000
no alot of paulsons nef's resurfaced after the crash, so i believe it wasn't lost. IMO all of his posts should be deleted, and i heard he is still comunicating thru his sig somehow, they banned him cause he couldn't live without the forums, but i guess these guys would give a gun to a suciadal man too. well, i guess its to avoid being sued they don't dis avow any knowlege of him. .

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
OK, I got back to November 17th. The reason I was looking is because I wanted some information from a thread about personal preferences featuring a post by CompuGeekIAM. I have a copy of my end of the conversations here, but not the rest of the topic. Apparently it's MIA. Honestly, I thought this stuff was over. Do these topics take up so much space that they can't be preserved for a couple years. I mean, we're talking about Gigabytes of space on these servers. Even a lowly $150.00 IDE Maxtor could hold 40GB of messages in an archive, no?

Edit: Ach, I found it. It's a little mangled, but the info is there.