How bad of a bottleneck will this Phenom II bring?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blake0812

Feb 6, 2014
Can you elaborate on the motherboard you are using for this "new" build? Will it accept anything newer than the Phenom?

Sometimes the motherboard can be flashed with new or Beta versions of BIOS, and be able to accept the newer AM3+ FX CPUs.

I just don't understand why you'd start a new build with such an old CPU that you mention?

Well it's kinda complex, but I had alot better parts, though I suffer from frequent breakdowns, and this one was bad. To make a long story short the parts don't work anymore. I only had $450 to spare, and I had to get some supplies for my class too.

I really didn't think that the GTX 760 would be that strong, now I kinda feel dumb for getting it.

Last edited:

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
No, I think the 760 was a good move, because it's more of an enthusiast card that will retain its value better than a lower-end video card.

You've got yourself a Ferrari, but you are stuck driving around the neighborhood going 25 mph. That doesn't mean the Ferrari is worthless, and you can always resell it later because it doesn't really lose much value over time.

But did you already get the Phenom II? What is your specific make/model of motherboard, will it accept an FX chip instead of the Phenom II? I ask because I have personally upgraded from a Phenom II to an FX chip, using a motherboard that was not originally meant to accept an FX chip, but it works after I flashed it using the beta BIOS provided by the motherboard manufacturer's website (ASUS).

blake0812

Feb 6, 2014
No, I think the 760 was a good move, because it's more of an enthusiast card that will retain its value better than a lower-end video card.

You've got yourself a Ferrari, but you are stuck driving around the neighborhood going 25 mph. That doesn't mean the Ferrari is worthless, and you can always resell it later because it doesn't really lose much value over time.

But did you already get the Phenom II? What is your specific make/model of motherboard, will it accept an FX chip instead of the Phenom II? I ask because I have personally upgraded from a Phenom II to an FX chip, using a motherboard that was not originally meant to accept an FX chip, but it works after I flashed it using the beta BIOS provided by the motherboard manufacturer's website (ASUS).
The model page says that the motherboard supports FX chips but it doesn't list any of the FX chips in the CPU support list, so I dunno if it really does.

Asrock n68c-s ucc

The Phenom II was a spare part I had from my previous build

There's also a BIOS update that the CPU support list doesn't reflect upon. It "updated CPU code", so I guess i'll give it a try.

Last edited: