How bad is generals really?

amdforever2

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2002
I kinda want to buy command and conquer generals, but when it came out I'd heard it choked most systems. I have an Athlon 64 3200+ 512MB DDR 2700 and a radeon 9600. Is it still gonna be a mess to play?

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Who said that? It ran fine on my machine when it came out. It's fun too. But it's still just another RTS. Warcraft 3 > Generals.

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by: amdforever2
I kinda want to buy command and conquer generals, but when it came out I'd heard it choked most systems. I have an Athlon 64 3200+ 512MB DDR 2700 and a radeon 9600. Is it still gonna be a mess to play?

Your system should be fine one of the machines I play it on is a Celeron 1.1 ghz w/512mb

igowerf

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
I ran it on my laptop at 1400x1050 with a P4 1.7GHz and a Geforce 4 440 Go. I had to turn down a few settings but it was very playable.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
its always been perfectly fine. I know they had some LAN issues with it previously.

MIKE

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by: nourdmrolNMT1
its always been perfectly fine. I know they had some LAN issues with it previously.

MIKE

Its the stupid patch they released, it virtually kills LAN play

Beattie

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2001
Generals is an awesome game. I like th C&C series a lot. Those games are a lot better than the warcraft series in my opinion.

MAME

Banned
Sep 19, 2003
is there any way to get the original c&c for my computer? with the cov ops?

UnatcoAgent

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
None of the newer ones were remotely as good as Tiberian Dawn or Red Alert, it's all EA's fault.

It's a horrible game in my opinion. Pretty, but the gameplay is terrible.

UnatcoAgent

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: MAME
is there any way to get the original c&c for my computer? with the cov ops?

You can order CNC Gold from a number of places, it comes with the win95 version of CNC and covert ops as well.

NorthRiver

Golden Member
May 6, 2002
Originally posted by: Magnum375
None of the newer ones were remotely as good as Tiberian Dawn or Red Alert, it's all EA's fault.

Dude, generals blows away that red alert crap
:thumbsdown::roll:

UnatcoAgent

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: NorthRiver

Actually, dude generals is terrible in comparison. The story is weak, the production of the actual game is horrible. You are not immersed in the conflict like you were in the first two games. You're just incharge of a bunch of a bunch of retarded looking units with little balance between them, let alone the different factions.

Red alert and CNC are classic games. The production team knew what they were doing, even back in like 95 or whenever it was. Everything was balanced nicely.

NorthRiver :thumbsdown::roll:

AFB

Lifer
Jan 10, 2004

Actually, dude generals is terrible in comparison. The story is weak, the production of the actual game is horrible. You are not immersed in the conflict like you were in the first two games. You're just incharge of a bunch of a bunch of retarded looking units with little balance between them, let alone the different factions.

Red alert and CNC are classic games. The production team knew what they were doing, even back in like 95 or whenever it was. Everything was balanced nicely.

Hey, I liked RA2 & Yuri's revenge.

ACTUALLY DUDES, both of yours are opinions. I personally like the game, others do not. I think its fine and well balanced, I also have the expansion pack Zero hour. My brother and I play it almost on a daily basis. But thats just my OPINION.

GO CHINA!

UnatcoAgent

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: FallenHero

ACTUALLY DUDES, both of yours are opinions. I personally like the game, others do not. I think its fine and well balanced, I also have the expansion pack Zero hour. My brother and I play it almost on a daily basis. But thats just my OPINION.

GO CHINA!

I was not talking about playing against a person, I was talking about the campains mostly. Any game is more fun when playing with/against someone.

GreatBarracuda

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2004
What the hell's wrong with you people? The game's amazing!! I've been playing it for a long time and still can't get enough of it. Turn on the eye-candy on your graphics card, crank up the speakers and the subwoofer and then tell me how good the game is!!!

UnatcoAgent

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: GreatBarracuda
What the hell's wrong with you people? The game's amazing!! I've been playing it for a long time and still can't get enough of it. Turn on the eye-candy on your graphics card, crank up the speakers and the subwoofer and then tell me how good the game is!!!

Yay eyecandy

Yay the same crappy music over and over again and RETARDED unit responses

Yay weak gameplay

I'm a huge C&C fan - I was bored of this game after an hour.