how bad is clutch chatter?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlahBlahYouToo, Dec 18, 2007.

1. BlahBlahYouToo

every once in awhile, i won't rev high enough to get the car going smoothly, but not low enough to stall.

is it as bad as, say, over revving (2500).

2. jagec

jagec Lifer

It's better for your clutch than revving super high and slooowwly letting it out, that's for sure. Still, try giving it a bit more gas and letting the clutch out a bit more slowly.

3. cardiac

cardiac Platinum Member

If it doesn't happen too often, I wouldn't worry about it. Still, you should be able to take off smoothly without even touching the throttle. I have taught numerous people how to drive a manual trans over the last 30 years or so, and I always have them practice this in a parking lot. Let the clutch out slowly and smoothly at an idle and you will get rolling with no chatter or stalling.....

Bob

4. overst33r

overst33r Diamond Member

I use the same technique with people I teach, but I remind them that that won't really work in traffic... It's just a better way to get a feel for the friction point. Also, unless the ground is even, there will be plenty of chatter on a car with no torque.

5. Demon-Xanth

Demon-Xanth Lifer

Clutches are hard to replace, tires are easy. Just light them up every time you take off by dumping the clutch at full throttle. :D

*disclaimer* Don't do this when a cop is behind you, for some reason they don't care about the longevity of your car's mechanical parts.

6. Zenmervolt

Zenmervolt Supermoderator<br>The Garage<br>Elite member

Clutches are still easier to replace than transmission/transaxle components.

ZV

7. Jahee

Jahee Platinum Member

What is clutch chatter?

8. Vic

Vic Elite Member

It's a harsh vibration, usually resulting in "wheel hop," when disengaging the clutch while starting off in 1st gear from a stop. What is happening is that the clutch disc is grabbing and slipping several times each second at the engagement point. It is annoying as all hell, but usually only happens when the engine is cold.
    My wife's car has an aftermarket Exedy racing clutch, and will occasionally chatter when cold, and the best way I found to avoid it is get the clutch out as quick as possible, either with or without a lot of throttle/rpm.

9. Demon-Xanth

Demon-Xanth Lifer

Well, that depends on the car. With mine replacing the transmission is actually faster and easier than the clutch (since I need to drop the trans to get to the clutch). But tires go up long before the transmission goes. Though at $250 or so for a Luk clutch kit, $300 for a pair of BFG Radial T/A tires, and $1000 for an NV3500, the clutch is the cheapest. And you need new batteries for your sarcasm detector. :)

10. Jahee

Jahee Platinum Member

Oh i see, like a judder? Didn't realise it was called that..

My car seems to do that when its cold and damp, goes away after i pull away a few times though, i take no notice...

11. Zenmervolt

Zenmervolt Supermoderator<br>The Garage<br>Elite member

Actually, I just need to remember to add the ";)" after I post a reply like that. :p

ZV

12. Crafty35a

Crafty35a Senior member

Good tip, but it is simply not possible with some cars/clutches. I could do this with my last two cars, but this would just stall out my current car.

13. Blackjack200

Blackjack200 Lifer

yeah, I used to drive a '90 jetta that didn't have enough torque to start without gas. It took me a long time to learn how to drive it (first stick shift) and I was pissed when I found out most manual cars don't require feathering the gas.

14. BlahBlahYouToo

yeah, but when you let out that slowly, you are burning so much clutch.

15. overst33r

overst33r Diamond Member

Not necessarily. It depends on what RPM you launch at regularly. Launching at 1500RPM with gas vs launching at half the RPM without gas

Not using the gas is just not viable in normal driving, it takes too long to get going in the cars I have driven.

16. exdeath

exdeath Lifer

Personal advice, don't ever offer to teach someone stick for the first time in a car with a ceramic or dual friction clutch that takes a leg like Schwarzenegger's to operate...