How bad do you think our for profit health care industry will mess up a pandemic?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I think its gonna be wrecked. There is no way they will want to foot the bill for a pandemic even if they will recoup some of those costs. I also think a bunch of nurses who make 250k a year are gonna bail as soon as they are personally at risk.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
It already can’t accommodate Lyme disease and other preventable mosquito born illnesses. What makes you think it can handle a viral pandemic, and thats not even taking into account the immunization nutters.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Only 3 states (perhaps 4 now?) have the resources to even administer a Coronavirus test. Nebraska is one of them for some reason.

Oh, and as demonstrated in that other thread, be prepared to shell out $1500 for the test if you have shitty insurance.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
People are going to avoid seeking testing or treatment due to possible cost.

Immigrants, legal ones, who the government has made fucking terrified of being labeled as "public charges" won't go anywhere near medical treatment. Illegals, potentially millions of them, obviously will not either.

A lot of short sighted cruelty could come home to roost in a big way.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
It already can’t accommodate Lyme disease and other preventable mosquito born illnesses. What makes you think it can handle a viral pandemic, and thats not even taking into account the immunization nutters.
It can accommodate Lyme just fine?

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
This is a good chance to get rid of the riff raff that cant afford healthcare anyway... a preemptive purge before they spread it all over good honest god loving peeps.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Suddenly everyone wants to be in an authoritarian system. Just wait, you will be. Either several authoritarian measures will be implemented or you can kiss the whole system goodbye. Someone is going to have to care for the severely ill, someone is going to have to keep the utilities running when quarantines kick in, someone is going to have to deliver and distribute food. I believe the odds of all the right people volunteering to do this being at about zero. Oh and all this will have to be free since most people cannot save money. Here soon I think many people are going to be looking longingly at China's methods for the last month.

Hopefully I am wrong and everyone can laugh at me, I'll happily take it.

As far as the health care industry fucking up? They already have to an extent by not being prepared. Just like Canada and everyone else that have not used the last month to get ready. I understand that is because preparing costs money and no one is paying but I put that part on the governments, all of them.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I also think a bunch of nurses who make 250k a year are gonna bail as soon as they are personally at risk.
I make a shit ton less than 250k and it wouldn't even enter my head not to turn up because of this!

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
It can accommodate Lyme just fine?
There was an available vaccine for Lyme in 2002 that got pulled from the market due to the emergence of the vaccine nutters movement and the economics. There are vaccines for mosquito born illnesses that will never enter into clinical trials due to the cost.

Can you imagine how the nutters would response if there was a global effort to achieve herd immunity through a newly developed coronavirus vaccine? You would have affluent suburbs flipping back to Trump faster than you can say soy macchiato.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
This is a good chance to get rid of the riff raff that cant afford healthcare anyway... a preemptive purge before they spread it all over good honest god loving peeps.
It’s gonna spread in high density urban clusters way quicker than rural areas, with devastating effects for the urban poor. What happens once Coronavirus hits skid row in Los Angeles?

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
It’s gonna spread in high density urban clusters way quicker than rural areas, with devastating effects for the urban poor. What happens once Coronavirus hits skid row in Los Angeles?
Doesn't matter where it starts, large cities will be charnel houses.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
There was an available vaccine for Lyme in 2002 that got pulled from the market due to the emergence of the vaccine nutters movement and the economics. There are vaccines for mosquito born illnesses that will never enter into clinical trials due to the cost.

Can you imagine how the nutters would response if there was a global effort to achieve herd immunity through a newly developed coronavirus vaccine? You would have affluent suburbs flipping back to Trump faster than you can say soy macchiato.
Right, it can easily accommodate it. The vaccine was pulled because... capitalism.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Between choosing an Arm or Leg for payment. People are just going to let nature take its course. 'Merica!

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Depends. If they let the Market address the issue, things will go terribly. If the CDC and other Public Agencies use sound Medical Practices and/or take control of Private Healthcare delivery in some fashion then things might go well. I think most Hospitals/Private Healthcare providers will look to the CDC for guidance anyway, so the latter will occur.

Then the main problem will be the General Public. Some well marketed Public Funding of Free Testing/Treatment for the Virus would help alleviate issues of cost avoidance by the un/poorly-insured.

Normally I don't think this would be a major problem, but with this Admin and the constant suppression of Experts in favour of Lackies opens the possibility of disaster.

Feb 4, 2009
Anyone concerned that it appears most vaccines are manufactured in China? I know some can be made in the US but I think their isn’t as much ability to make mass amounts quick.

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
The good thing is that since guns have killed 150m Americans since 2007 and Trump tax cuts have killed an additional 8 billion Americans since 2007, there aren’t many Americans left for the corona virus to kill.