How are you staying in touch with people online?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SHaines

Staff member
Apr 1, 2019
Hey there,

With so many of us around the world staying inside to slow the spread of coronavirus, what are you using to stay in touch online?

Some folks set aside time for gaming together, others use regular video chats or text chains, so what are you doing to keep in contact with folks?

Reactions: Captante

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
phone calls every other day or so to family. Texts with former co-workers, as I am out on rehab since December. I was isolating at home before it was cool!

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I want to say something judgmental about that. But I've thought of the same joke.
Progress, Craig! The team and I wish to tell you that you're making significant progress, and will be allowed lightly supervised day trips out of the facility quite soon. Just make sure you keep taking your meds! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
By email and land line. I only use my mobile device when I am mobile.
Same here. Very little email though. Most of the people I know are staying mum, at least with me, or being very terse. Most of my online connectivity has been right in these forums! I check links, but those are seldom any kind of 1/2 decent two-way communication medium.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I don't...but my wife stays in touch with grandkids by text and snapchat...and calls a couple of older friends to check on them.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
For those using Zoom you might want to switch to Jitsi. Zoom is Chinese and loads malware on your machine and is just all around pretty terrible about security and privacy. They also sell all your personal information... seems to be a huge trend now days. They've recently been busted for their practices but I doubt they'll change. Just like Facebook.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Zoom just got suit thrown at them by their own shareholders. LOL

Lol that's great.

I hope more people find out about Jitsi. It's basically the same idea, but it's open source and you can also run your own server. I tested it the other day with my mom and it works good.

At the end of all this, Zoom will fix a couple things, but they will still continue to load spyware and sell your personal information, because everyone else does it and it's legal.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
I use WhatsApp for these purpose only because WhatsApp is the only social media messaging app that people around the world use.

Yep. Whatsapp for EVERYTHING. I wish iMessage would open up for Android or RCS messaging would take off on the iPhone. I am forced to use an iPhone for work and hate every moment of it.