how are you preparing for the national emergency?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
A 100% continuous wall may have concerns, and a lack of support, but I'd hardly say it is impossible.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
Did you not see where I said that would be impossible?

edit: The fact is, SOMETHING has to be done. Despite the rhetoric in the news, those of us like me who li=ve in border states hear more actual border news than the rest of the country. If you look at the sheriffs of border counties, they will tell you we need to do something.

Pima county sherriff
Arizona Sheriffs Association
Here's what you can do! Tell your government to stop protecting corporate interest in central and south America at all costs leading to the humnitarian crisis we aare currently seeing.

We owe it to these people to let them in, were responsibele for them being there.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
And I said its impossible so why focus on it?

Do you support a SMART wall? Do you think something needs to be done to protect our border?
Yes I do. Do you think nothing has been done in recent years to secure our border ? Do you think trump actually cares about secureing our border?

Please leave irrelevant info out of your future posts.

Last edited:

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Here's what you can do! Tell your government to stop protecting corporate interest in central and south America at all costs leading to the humnitarian crisis we aare currently seeing.

We owe it to these people to let them in, were responsibele for them being there.

No. Wrong answer. We need to protect our border. Period. Its called sovereignty.

Reactions: rvborgh

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Yes I do. Do you think nothing has been done in recent years to secure our boarders ? Do you think trump actually cares about secureing our boarders?

Please leave irrelevant info out of your future posts.

Which boarders are you speaking of? B&B owners customers?

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Show me one post...just one...where I support the wall. I have previously said the only way I would support a wall is if it were 100% continuous, and admitted that is impossible. I support something even Democrats have supported, a SMART wall.

With that said, you are 100% correct. POTUS legally can declare NE for anything for any reason. Thats a fact. Do you disagree with that?

That doesn't mean a President can re-allocate Congressionally approved funds.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I do think that flying off for a golfing vacation moments after kinda declaring an emergency that he doesn't believe is an emergency is a wonderful way to sell an emergency.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I do think that flying off for a golfing vacation moments after kinda declaring an emergency that he doesn't believe is an emergency is a wonderful way to sell an emergency.

Remember that time Trump said he would be so busy working for the American people he wouldn't have time ever play golf as President unlike Obama? I guess golf is a sign of laziness only when the black man plays it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Remember that time Trump said he would be so busy working for the American people he wouldn't have time ever play golf as President unlike Obama? I guess golf is a sign of laziness only when the black man plays it.

when you're born with gold-plated bootstraps, you are immune from any future accusations of ever being lazy.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

Trump does not have to sell it.

He is accountable to Congress, who can stop him if they choose to do so. And accountable to the people for his re-election in 2020. Those are your options. Turn Senate Republicans against him, or the public at large next year.

rvborgh

Apr 16, 2014
Jhhnn,

The US already admits approximately 1 million *legal* immigrants every year. Extremely generous IMHO.

All folks like me want is that people enter legally and stop cheating and jumping ahead in line of those who do it the way its supposed to be done.

Security wise its good that the government has control over who enters and who leaves and that those that enter are people that would benefit US society not harm it.

As the sovereign, the US government has every right to control the border

All of the things I mentioned are either happening or are the stated goals of the Trump admin. Fuckovers are the name of the game when it comes to immigrants.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Jhhnn,

The US already admits approximately 1 million *legal* immigrants every year. Extremely generous IMHO.

All folks like me want is that people enter legally and stop cheating and jumping ahead in line of those who do it the way its supposed to be done.

Security wise its good that the government has control over who enters and who leaves and that those that enter are people that would benefit US society not harm it.

As the sovereign, the US government has every right to control the border

So what? None of that allows Trump to usurp the power of Congress to control the purse particularly not with the contrivance of a faux national emergency even he said isn't a national emergency.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Did you not see where I said that would be impossible?

edit: The fact is, SOMETHING has to be done. Despite the rhetoric in the news, those of us like me who li=ve in border states hear more actual border news than the rest of the country. If you look at the sheriffs of border counties, they will tell you we need to do something.

Pima county sherriff
Arizona Sheriffs Association

I'll see your sheriff and raise you two:

Hidalgo County Sheriff J.E. “Eddie” Guerra, who is in charge of policing the largest and most populous county in the Rio Grande Valley, said that crime rates in his county are at record lows, and that illegal immigration has very little effect on the safety of residents. Meanwhile, Brewster County Sheriff Ronny Dodson, who is responsible for policing the largest county in Texas, said he doesn’t support the construction of a wall along any part of the 192-mile stretch of border in Brewster County, which includes Big Bend National Park.

But don’t take the sheriffs’ word for it. In 2017 (the latest year for which data is available), there were 4.4 murders per 100,000 people in Hidalgo County — about half the rate of other metro areas in Texas and a quarter of the murder rate in Washington, D.C. It’s also lower than the 6.3 murders per 100,000 people in 2017 in Palm Beach County, Florida, where Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort is located.

In addition to fewer murders, the violent crime and property crime rates in Hidalgo County are less than half of what they were in 1999. Guerra, a Democrat who has lived in the RGV his entire life, said the majority of immigrants entering the county without papers are Central American asylum-seekers fleeing violence and poverty who turn themselves over to Border Patrol agents as soon as they can.

Dodson, a Democrat who has been in the post since 2001, said the migrants apprehended in his county tend to be asylum-seekers from Central America fleeing some of the most dangerous countries in the world. In 2017, the number of apprehensions in the Big Bend sector, which includes Brewster County, was less than half of what it was in 2000.

“The Guatemalans and Hondurans are not carrying drugs,” Dodson said. “For the most part, they just go on through.”

Both Guerra and Dodson believe that hiring additional qualified Border Patrol agents, who work with local law enforcement, is the best way to bolster border security. The number of Border Patrol agents along the U.S.-Mexico border nearly doubled between 2000 and 2017, turning the area into one of the most surveilled and policed parts of the nation.
https://www.texasobserver.org/texas-border-sheriffs-there-is-no-crisis-and-we-dont-want-trumps-wall/

But I guess a pair of sheriffs that don't hold your view are to be ignored, esp. a sheriff of the most populous county in the Rio Grande Valley.

rvborgh

Apr 16, 2014
POTUS is not usurping anything. Congress itself gave that power to the Presidency back in '76 with the National Emergencies Act. Its his legal prerogative to declare emergencies much as any of his predecessors did so.

If Congress doesn't like it, then they can attempt to overturn it. They'll take a vote in the house send the bill to the Senate... if both vote the emergency down, then it goes to the President that can then veto. Congress can then try to overturn with a 2/3rds majority.

Good luck with that happening!

So what? None of that allows Trump to usurp the power of Congress to control the purse particularly not with the contrivance of a faux national emergency even he said isn't a national emergency.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
POTUS is not usurping anything. Congress itself gave that power to the Presidency back in '76 with the National Emergencies Act. Its his legal prerogative to declare emergencies much as any of his predecessors did so.

If Congress doesn't like it, then they can attempt to overturn it. They'll take a vote in the house send the bill to the Senate... if both vote the emergency down, then it goes to the President that can then veto. Congress can then try to overturn with a 2/3rds majority.

Good luck with that happening!

Declaring a national emergency does not give Trump the right to redirect Congressionally authorized funding. The 1976 act doesn't do that at all. There are already lawsuits filed & more to come which the Admin must defend in court. Good luck with that.

rvborgh

Apr 16, 2014
Obama took money that had never been allocated by Congress and used it to fund his little dirty war in Libya. Where were you then? :)

Trump is taking monies that Congress has already allocated. AFAIK, Congress never placed a limitation on his doing that. Therefore its not illegal.

Some folks disagree and have filed suit, so SCOTUS is going to have to decide. My best guess is that POTUS wins... since there isn't anything preventing him from doing that in the law.

Folks like you don't like that... which is okay... but that has nothing to do with whether its legal or not.

Declaring a national emergency does not give Trump the right to redirect Congressionally authorized funding. The 1976 act doesn't do that at all. There are already lawsuits filed & more to come which the Admin must defend in court. Good luck with that.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Obama took money that had never been allocated by Congress and used it to fund his little dirty war in Libya. Where were you then? :)

Trump is taking monies that Congress has already allocated. AFAIK, Congress never placed a limitation on his doing that. Therefore its not illegal.

Some folks disagree and have filed suit, so SCOTUS is going to have to decide. My best guess is that POTUS wins... since there isn't anything preventing him from doing that in the law.

Folks like you don't like that... which is okay... but that has nothing to do with whether its legal or not.

No other president has taken money for a purpose that was explicitly rejected by Congress. This has never happened before. Comparing Trump's little vanity project to any other emergency declarations act is pure folly, and boldly ignorant.

Even Trump doesn't believe this is an emergency. The shitclown admitted exactly that when he invoked this power that he doesn't understand. Even the GOP doesn't believe it's an emergency. No emergency just "sits around" for 2 years or more until you decide to call it an emergency...only if you think you need to, sorta...oh whatever I'm going on vacation.

You little twats expose yourselves every fucking day. It's truly pathetic, the pride with which you wear your black shirts and little red hats. Any of you Trumptardian bastards comes by my door with a bottle of laxative, I'm pulling a Biden on you bitches.