How are we supposed to have equality when schools...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 6, 2007
How are we supposed to trust this story when alkemyst...

won't produce a shred of corroborating evidence apart from his own word? I'm not calling you a liar, but your flat-out refusal to post a picture or other evidence leads me to question the credibility of this story. I could easily make a claim that a local school has been forcing Asian students to take the math tests for everyone to up the scores and make the district look better... but if I don't provide evidence, you'd be right to question whether I'd just made the whole thing up.

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
Are you afraid someone will see you taking the picture and once the media gets hold of it you'll get fired?

As we saw in Wisconsin, teachers and union members are thugs when you attempt to call them out on anything. I'm sure he not only fears for his job, but probably his safety as well. I don't blame him for not wanting to identify the school and possibly himself to a bunch of people who will likely try to destroy his career and possibly hurt him or his family if he embarrasses them.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Post up the target marks like this for english and math:

White Target: 86%
White Actual: 83%
Black Target: 78%
Black Actual: 76%
Hispanic Target: 74%
Hispanic Actual: 73%
SES Target: 60%
SES Actual: 57%

Sadly, I heard a spanish boy and a white boy arguing about how he did just as "good" since white kids are smarter. I interupted and said that it's not true at all and color plays no part in how smart you are or how well you will do.

The kid took me to the poster, I then noticed them in almost every hallway.

I do work inside schools some of the time and one of my projects is at a K-8 public school right now.

Kids see this and then just shoot for the benchmarks.

Personally if I had a child I would find this kind of thing offensive enough to petition against such bullshit. This is ingraining racism into young minds.

Wait a second... The OP just happened to memorize all the percentages??! Ummmm...

Excellent point, and pretty strong evidence that the OP either made this up or posted some email forward as personal experience.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
As we saw in Wisconsin, teachers and union members are thugs when you attempt to call them out on anything. I'm sure he not only fears for his job, but probably his safety as well. I don't blame him for not wanting to identify the school and possibly himself to a bunch of people who will likely try to destroy his career and possibly hurt him or his family if he embarrasses them.

Why are you such a stupid fuck? Unions and liberals everywhere! Oh no!

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
How are we supposed to trust this story when alkemyst...

won't produce a shred of corroborating evidence apart from his own word? I'm not calling you a liar, but your flat-out refusal to post a picture or other evidence leads me to question the credibility of this story. I could easily make a claim that a local school has been forcing Asian students to take the math tests for everyone to up the scores and make the district look better... but if I don't provide evidence, you'd be right to question whether I'd just made the whole thing up.

Well for one I am not allowed to photograph inside a school except for our equipment installs. It's the same on most deployments.

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
And would you honestly expect there to be a scientific study, looking for contributing factors? The study would be flamed as racist before it got off the printing press.

I'm not dismissing the possibility that there are factors which make people of certain race genetically predisposed to certain behavior. What pisses me off, though, is people who claim everyone is equal from one side of their mouth, and then demand certain races be given special treatment and favors out the other side.

A quick google search shows there's tons of studies that just look at race alone, so I don't see why one that controlled for economic class, education levels of the parents, etc. would be deemed more racist. It could be the case though.

And I'm with you on the second paragraph. I do claim that everyone is equal, but I don't believe in special treatment.