How all college dorms should be designed!

Gizmo j

Nov 9, 2013
6ivt7ct44yn21.jpg

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
nah, can't move those into the corner of the room to clear out space. difficult to position a tv so both can see.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
That's neat, but also makes me glad I never had to live in a dorm setting. Shared kitchen, shared bathroom, shared showers, screw that noise.

Nov 8, 2012
Dorms are the only place anymore (okay, aside from military) that shares rooms and bathrooms. Fucking dumb overall.

Also agree with Occams, not everyone wants a bunk.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
good design. It helps keep the masturbation even more private than typical dorm rooms.

*Flashback to freshman year*
One time I woke up at like 7a.m. for class and my roommate (who I wasn't on good terms with) was doing something. I pretended to still be asleep until he was about to finish what he was doing, then I jumped up and screamed and scared the living shit out of him.

Actually, that last part was false. I just pretended to still be asleep, waited until he left for class, then got up and forgot all about it until now.

:eek:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Dorms are the only place anymore (okay, aside from military) that shares rooms and bathrooms. Fucking dumb overall.

Also agree with Occams, not everyone wants a bunk.

I think few people really want a bunk, but it shouldn't matter. It's the most efficient way to use such spaces, and so-called adult humans should be able to deal with the temporary inconvenience for one to three years. I mean...seriously.

I know it isn't the same on all campuses, as some actually require minimum years of living in on-campus property (which I find strange), but I was only required to live in a dorm for a single year. So that was the only time I had to deal with it (suite system of 4 rooms and 8 total dudes, sharing a single bathroom of one shower and 2 stalls. It's nbd.

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
I think few people really want a bunk, but it shouldn't matter. It's the most efficient way to use such spaces, and so-called adult humans should be able to deal with the temporary inconvenience for one to three years. I mean...seriously.

When I was in college most of the guys went with bunks and the majority of the girls didn't. It's certainly a more efficient use of space, but some, girls especially, get uneasy sleeping up high and don't want to climb if they need to use the bathroom at 4am. So they used the twins that were semi-elevated and had storage space under the bed. Floor space in a dorm is overrated anyway. As long as there's room to navigate without tripping over each other and desk space for two that's enough. You're either in and sleeping/studying or you're out. If you need to amass more people you use the common spaces.

Nov 8, 2012

I know it isn't the same on all campuses, as some actually require minimum years of living in on-campus property (which I find strange), but I was only required to live in a dorm for a single year. So that was the only time I had to deal with it (suite system of 4 rooms and 8 total dudes, sharing a single bathroom of one shower and 2 stalls. It's nbd.

Meh, I just hate the concept of colleges REQUIRING dorms. No one should be required to have bunk beds, nor share a room with someone else. College is the part in life where you start to reach adulthood... And sharing rooms is for fucking 5 year olds.

I mean, if people are cool with it and want it - thats fine. Go for it. But REQUIRING dorms is what pisses me off.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Yeah, shared rooms are lame, but on the flip side it sort of forces introverts to socialize rather than just seclude themselves in a room all day, especially if their roommates are outgoing. It was always pretty cool hanging out in someone's dorm room, doing drugs and ordering Chinese food, then playing N64.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Get rid of all the beds in that military room, and that would make a pretty nice shop! Look at that nice concrete floor job.

Seriously though I could not do military, not because of the combat, but the lack of personal space. Just not for me. I thank those who are willing to do it for serving the country.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Get rid of all the beds in that military room, and that would make a pretty nice shop! Look at that nice concrete floor job.

Seriously though I could not do military, not because of the combat, but the lack of personal space. Just not for me. I thank those who are willing to do it for serving the country.
when you're 18 you can learn to cope.

we had a 30 year old who managed. so its possible.