How about some requirement for allowing downvotes

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
One of my posts was downvoted by a Junior member with no posts at all. This seems grossly unfair. Should there not be a requirement for some minimum number of posts before allowing a new poster to downvote?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
They've downvoted me several times in tech areas over the years.

They've been here since 2019, and that's all they do. I just learned to ignore them because they've never posted anything in close to three years here. They pop in here every 2-3 weeks, downvote answers or react to other people's posts, and leave until they come back to do it again.

It's annoying for sure, but there's not too many users here who just downvote and don't at least post something (at least occasionally).

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
They've downvoted me several times in tech areas over the years.

They've been here since 2019, and that's all they do. I just learned to ignore them because they've never posted anything in close to three years here. They pop in here every 2-3 weeks, downvote answers or react to other people's posts, and leave until they come back to do it again.

It's annoying for sure, but there's not too many users here who just downvote and don't at least post something (at least occasionally).
Well, personally, I dont see the purpose of up/down voting at all. If a post is offensive or inaccurate, it can be reported to a mod to take appropriate action. Up/down votes just allow someone with an axe to grind to discredit other posters without any reasonable basis.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I could also do without the upvote/downvote option here as it generally only causes more work/intervention from the mods when people go on "downvote wars".

But ultimately it's up to the overlords at Future if they want that feature to be removed. It wouldn't miss it for sure as we all aware we can't have nice things because people use that function only to stir up the bees.