How about game servers in Linux? RTCW or UT?

Pilsnerpete

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2002
I want to get a dedicated RTCW game server going but I'm not sure of the bandwidth requirements. I have 384d/256u; think that's enough for 8 players? 4-6? Few more q's:

[*]Will I get better performance with Linux or w2kpro? Linux.

[*]Should I use 512mb or 1gb? Will it make a difference with the bandwidth I have? 512 is okay.

[*]Is there a game that would make better use of the bandwidth? Maybe Q3? UT? There's about 100,000 of each already, not 2 many rtcw servers though. So I guess that's the way to go as long as I don't have to buy another cd to make it happen.

[*]Will I be able to connect to it with a different pc behind the same router? still wondering...

Here's the Server:
xp1700@1.85ghz
a7n266-c
2- 256mb sticks of xms-2400@ 177x2(ddr)
wd 80gig (8mb)
lne100tx nic

Place comments below.:beer:

Electrode

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
<< I have 384d/256u; think that's enough for 8 players? >>

No. I have 768k down/128k up and I can't host more than 3 players + myself in a game of Q3A without significant lag.

<< Will I get better performance with Linux or w2kpro? >>

Linux.

<< Should I use 512mb or 1gb? Will it make a difference with the small bandwidth I have? >>

512 megs will be adequite. I've seen 16 player servers for various games run on as little as 128, with *NIX OS's of course. However, since you'll be hosting 5 clients at maximum, it makes no difference.

<< I know games aren't necessary, but if they were, which one should I pick to host instead of RTCW? >>

&iquest;Que?

Pilsnerpete

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2002
I know games aren't necessary, but if they were, which one should I pick to host instead of RTCW?
What does this mean? Could someone please interpret for me? It's bad enough trying to understand my own handwriting. Now I don't understand my own thinking. Probly something about the meaning of life or some nonsense.

What I meant was if there were a good game to host that could allow more players, what would it be?

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Multiplayer FPSes eat bandwidth. With what you have you will have a very low limit indeed, and if you are not allowed to have unlimited network traffic you will get a serious bill too at the end of the month.

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Pilsnerpete
I believe I have unlimited access dsl.

Check it in advance. Fair use policy doesn't mean a thing, it has to specify unlimited use. (And even then they can change it if it get's extreme)

Pilsnerpete

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2002
unlimited access. yippee skippy. any other suggestions or advice? Will I be able to connect to it with a different pc behind the same router?