HOV / Carpool lanes . . . good idea but dont' work

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
What should make most people feel better, is that there is worse gridlock in other places. Which means we have not yet discovered how bad things must get before people give up the single-occupant commute, or live closer to where they work.

As far as I can tell 'length of commute' is not in the top-10 for reasons why people select their homes and/or jobs.

It's in my top 3.

And carpooling and being able to use the HOV lane, used to cut my commute by more than half.

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
It's in my top 3.

And carpooling and being able to use the HOV lane, used to cut my commute by more than half.

It's a big consideration to me, too.

But look at the highway at commuting time, and you will see that 'we' are not in the majority here.

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
It's in my top 3.

Sitting in traffic isn't my idea of a good use of time. My commute used to be an hour and a half each way. What a waste of time. Now that my commute is 20-30 minutes each way, i'm much happier. Two more hours of the day for ME.

Really helps stress levels, and the wallet!

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Sitting in traffic isn't my idea of a good use of time. My commute used to be an hour and a half each way. What a waste of time. Now that my commute is 20-30 minutes each way, i'm much happier. Two more hours of the day for ME.

Really helps stress levels, and the wallet!

Yeah, I think it's crazy when I hear people having to commute 2-3 hours a day. I will only take a job if it's within a 20 minute commute. Living in the city though, it still leaves me lots of options and still allows me to either walk, bike or take public transportation to work.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
speed <> traffic flow. Just like a hose, only so much volume can ultimately flow.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Traffic really isn't like a hose, it's much more complicated than that.

Are you even legally driving yet? The analogy was how increasing speed <> flow and a hose works for that part.

Queuing theory is used and other math. Which I have taken.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
HOV vehicles is another example of dimlibs thinking that the intent is what matters, not the results. It's just another dumb idea.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
HOV vehicles is another example of dimlibs thinking that the intent is what matters, not the results. It's just another dumb idea.

"dimlib" states like Texas, Virginia, and Florida?

HOV lanes are probably a good idea when HOT is included as an option at a premium price point.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Are you even legally driving yet? The analogy was how increasing speed <> flow and a hose works for that part.

Queuing theory is used and other math. Which I have taken.

Right, and traffic jams are caused by a lot more than that. Increasing the speed limit would not lead to a 40% throughput increase. If you are in fact of legal driving age you should know that.

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
regardless don't you think it would help stimulate the economy to let people spend less on gas because it takes less time sitting on the freeway? if you saw the statistics from 1995, that's 6 million dollars a day. A DAY. that's 1995 money and stats.

but the government only sees it as a source of revenue. more gas = more gas tax. HOV = charging people to use it, or getting to write tickets for people who abuse it.

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
Right, and traffic jams are caused by a lot more than that. Increasing the speed limit would not lead to a 40% throughput increase. If you are in fact of legal driving age you should know that.

i think LOWERING the speed limit during rush hour to 55 may help as well

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

Actually in reality most don't.

There are a lot of things like that out there.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
As a motorcycle rider, Im thankful for HOV lanes. Not only do they cut my drive times, but often the lanes, including the shoulder, is pretty wide. Lots of room to maneuver if need be. In Cali where lane splitting is legal, on roads that dont have bike lane splits the HOV lanes are wide enough to do so.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
Coming from someone who carpools everyday, the HOV lanes in the Bay Area awesome. I wish they'd add more.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
but the point was to reduce pollution, theyv'e been in effect for what, 15 years now and just simple logic as pointed out in the OP shows that they do the opposite!!! who benefits from this?

It's been way more than 15 years. My first ticket ever was for driving solo in a carpool lane going northbound on 101 near Redwood City. That was in 1985. BTW the fine was $100 which was a huge fine for that time.

On the issue you raise, I think I agree. People are just whizzing by like 1 car per 10 seconds in the carpool lane while everyone else is stop and go.

Matthiasa

Diamond Member
May 4, 2009
WTF?

Speed =! Volume

Actually given people on the highway tend to keep the same distance no matter what the speed it is.
(x+n)v>xv

In a given period of time more people would be able to travel... of course yeah during "rush hour" people drive like complete idiots and the speed limit doesn't actually matter.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Also, people in Atlanta can't drive for shit. I see the same accidents at the same places on 85, 285 everyday. Increasing speed limit = more serious accidents.

True, they are bad there.

I've run into a strange driving behavior here in the western burbs of Chicago.

They don't accelerate when lights turn green.

Sometimes they will sit for three light changes before actually moving.

It's the most maddening and weirdest thing I've ever seen.

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
Actually given people on the highway tend to keep the same distance no matter what the speed it is.
(x+n)v>xv

In a given period of time more people would be able to travel... of course yeah during "rush hour" people drive like complete idiots and the speed limit doesn't actually matter.

That's because people are very poor judges of time and velocity, and generally are following too closely at all times. As speed increases, the problem gets worse.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Just wondering your perspective on this and why states are still implementing these. An HOV lane for those of you lucky enough to not know what they are are lanes in which only people with two(sometimes three) or more people are allowed to drive in during certain times of the day, typically rush hour.

Here in the bay area the left lane is CARPOOL only from 5-9am and from 3-7pm. On its premise, it's supposed to encourage people to carpool and save the environment but I think it's actually causing the opposite effect.

Between 3-4:30 around here on 101 the carpool lane us under-utilized while the other three lanes are stopped or move at 5mph. Assuming that the HOV lane is only 25% used, that's another 18% of the freeway that we could put cars in.

It's no magic that cars get better gas mileage at 15mph than they do at 0mph, and 18% better is 3mph more! Think of all of the cars just sitting at idle for NO REASON. If everyone got home 18% faster we would save so much on pollution and gas, people would be much happier and productive!

Reduce the HOV from 3-7pm to 5-7!!! This would also help congestion by getting people out of the way more quickly, thus less traffic!

Its good idea in theory but seems actually counterproductive to the effort

It's been way more than 15 years. My first ticket ever was for driving solo in a carpool lane going northbound on 101 near Redwood City. That was in 1985. BTW the fine was $100 which was a huge fine for that time.

On the issue you raise, I think I agree. People are just whizzing by like 1 car per 10 seconds in the carpool lane while everyone else is stop and go.
Sounds like you two should carpool. :D