House with master bedroom on first floor

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Didn't have a recent knee scope too? I'm sure you appreciated the main floor access after that. :) Not that I'm planning my living around knee surgery but I know that I have some aches and pains right now at 32. In 20 years I'm probably going to be cursing stairs. I went and planned ahead.

You bet. Two months after and I still loathe having to go upstairs. Wife is up there right now putting the kids to bed. I'm down here on the puter. :D

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Another really nice thing about 1st floor master is they are generally larger, with bigger bathrooms and closets. You just can't squeeze 4 good sized bedrooms and baths in a 2 story house on the 2nd floor.

Not to mention the advantage of kitchen noise. On the 1st floor they are generally opposite the side of the kitchen, away from the noise. Otherwise many times they are directly above the kitchen. Clanking dishes, whatnot on a saturday/sunday morning sucks. 1st floor master is like your own private sanctuary and many homes have a door out onto the deck or a screened in outdoor living room.

Our master bedroom is above the family room and kitchen at the back of the house. The bedroom is 12'x15' and the bathroom/closet is the size of our kitchen and both have vaulted ceilings. It is a very nice layout and I wouldn't change it one bit.

Honestly, I'd have to see the house before I'd make ridiculous statements like these:

I won't buy a home without one. It just makes life a lot easier. Laundry is quicker, and the kid noise isn't so close. It's really a selling point of a home as many buyers won't even look at one that doesn't have it. It's just all around much better.

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
I love having our master bedroom on the first floor. We live in an "odd" house where it was actually built to be a one bedroom house. Some folks bought it decided to construct an add-on and ended up adding on a garage and above the garage is 2 other bedrooms and a bath. It's weird because there is one part of the house (actually out in the garage) where there are 3 steps that lead to a wall (I an only assume it used to be an extra entrance into the house)

I have no floorplan but maybe you can gather something from this?

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2018354&id=1195069499&l=3190cd5b4b

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
getfloorplan.asp

This is one i've seen recently... fell in love with this plan.

The-Noid

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
I guess it more or less depends on your plan. On first floor we have:
Kitchen, Breakfast Room, Foyer, Living Room, Dining Room, Bathroom, 3 small closets, a laundry room and the Master Suite.

Master Suite is 10 foot ceiling, others are 9 and the Living Room is 26. To get the vault you lose quite a bit of room on the second floor.

Second floor has 2 bedrooms, 2 baths and a library.

Basement walkout has a bedroom, wife's tv room, and my theatre.

To have a large master suite you either sacrifice a vault in your living room, or you give up your whole upstairs.

I think our master suite is around 800-900 sqft if you count the closets. 22x20(bedroom), 12x20 bathroom and 12x20 closets.

It is nice to have a big room imo.

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
I'm really on the face about this place... for the square footage it's a good price, and it's in a nice neighborhood. However I just don't know about the layout. I mean it would work okay for me now, but in the chance I get married and have kids sometime in the future, would it work having the master on a different floor? The living room is kind of odd too (there is a family room about the same side on the other side of the fireplace). The living room would be a nice place for a grand piano though.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
It will be a requirement for my next home. As people have said, having the laundry near the bderooms is a must. Also, having the kids bedrooms in a separate area of the house is very nice.

I plan to build this in the next few years:
427-4e-1493.jpg

427-4mf-1493.jpg
I love rancher and planing to built one in the next few years, but I find that it is odd to have a door to the master bedroom accessible from kitchen.

Sealy

Platinum Member
Aug 4, 2002
When I was house hunting I came across that a few times in houses and at the time my kids were 1 and 3 (5-8 now) I didn't like the idea of being that far away from their rooms. If they needed something in the night it's a bit of a treck down the stairs or up the stairs for that matter when you're half asleep!

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
Here, Midwest, where there's still enough land (not talking about downtown Chicago or such), ranches are again insanely popular, because few advantages:
- they always come with huge basements, 500+ sq family rooms ft just for kids play
- one or two bedrooms can be added to basement, so that you can send kids away
- easy access to everything from laundry to kids for elderly and people with small kids
- prices are competitive, builders are managing to build ranches cheaper than 2 storeys.

Unfortunately, consequence is that bedrooms are usually very small.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
1st floor master is the new black.

really though, having it on the first floor makes the most sense.

Nov 20, 2009
Would you buy a house with a master bedroom on the first floor, with the rest of the bedrooms upstairs? I know it's great if you're old, handicapped, or have older kids. Would it be bad though if you had really young kids?

After looking at houses for 2 months this is the first time I've seen a two story house with a first floor master.
The wife and I almost did. We loved the floor plan for the 2-story home, but getting the home with a basement meant having to wait and we really didn't want to. Sometimes I regret that decision.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
My fantasy house is a (ranch style obviously) HUGE square, with a nice little garden/atrium in the middle.
Each leg of the square has various rooms. Kitchen and living room are in the front half of the house. One leg has the entertainment center (or theater) and a games room, as well as the laundry. Back side has the garage. Other leg has all the bedrooms and guest rooms.
Realistically I am looking at at least 12,000 sq feet of enclosed space, and I dunno how big the atrium or garage would be. I would also have the foyer be where all the coat hooks and shelves are for hats & stuff.

Been dreaming about it for a while. Will do a mock-up in MS Paint one day.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Spam post and link deleted.

PLEASE do not respond to spam posts and do not quote them or their links.
admin allisolm

Shens .... Spam-bots can't actually "think" at all! :rolleyes:

And the second floor is a better bet ... privacy can be an issue on the first at times!

:D

hqdefault.jpg

burger-king-creeper.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: