House with master bedroom on first floor

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
Would you buy a house with a master bedroom on the first floor, with the rest of the bedrooms upstairs? I know it's great if you're old, handicapped, or have older kids. Would it be bad though if you had really young kids?

After looking at houses for 2 months this is the first time I've seen a two story house with a first floor master.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
I don't see any problem with that design but, what's important is does it work for you. The designs of MOST homes out there are crappy because they were designed for ease of construction first and, follow housing 'trends' (as set by low life scum sucking realty developers) second. The ergonomics of the families who actually live there isn't even a blip on their radar.

Reactions: Captante

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
it wouldn't be my ideal, but it depends on how the rest of the house is setup.

what are the odds that it's like a living or family room that was converted into a 1st floor bedroom?

rooms are just 4 walls with stuff inside of them, make it whatever you want.

jteef

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2001
first floor living is popular in florida for sure, though i just have a bedroom & full bath on the lower level while the master is upstairs.

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
You have to think about how many years you plan on living in that home and what you are most comfortable with vs. added or decreased resale value in that particular neighborhood or area (are most other buyers young couples with kids, or are there a lot of elderly empty nesters who occasionally have kids or family visit and only would use upstairs for those purposes).

Depending upon how far north you are, slab foundation (cold in winter and hard to walk on) vs. crawl space or baseline might also be another factor to consider.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Most newer homes have a 1st floor master. I won't buy a home without one. It just makes life a lot easier. Laundry is quicker, and the kid noise isn't so close. It's really a selling point of a home as many buyers won't even look at one that doesn't have it. It's just all around much better.

gaidensensei

Banned
May 31, 2003
First floor is also popular in southern california. Most suburbia / urban neighborhood districts are modeled after the same few types, if you take a stroll around you'll clearly notice this is the norm.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I would love a main floor master suite, but I'd prefer for the rest of the bedrooms to be downstairs. Someday I play to build a large rambler with that style.

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
it wouldn't be my ideal, but it depends on how the rest of the house is setup.

what are the odds that it's like a living or family room that was converted into a 1st floor bedroom?

rooms are just 4 walls with stuff inside of them, make it whatever you want.

Typically a master bedroom has a bathroom attached

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
i would not like it, IMO all bedrooms should be on the 2nd floor or higher,

a basement room is also acceptable but not as a master suite

ahenkel

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2009
My parents house the master bedroom is on the first floor. Then one bedroom in the daylight basement, and 2 more upstairs. All but one of the bedrooms has a bathroom in it too.

gaidensensei

Banned
May 31, 2003
Here's an example of one of the S. CA middle class home structures, a floorplan of the first and 2nd floor. I am currently working on a prospective plan in revit, quite a coincidence with the topic popping up.

fp1.jpg

fp2.jpg

Last edited:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Here's an example of one of the S. CA middle class home structures, a floorplan of the first and 2nd floor. I am currently working on a prospective plan in revit, quite a coincidence with the topic popping up.
room D seems like it would be the ideal master bedroom candidate on that map, with the first floor room being used as a playroom or bedroom for the oldest child.

esun

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2001
I've been searching for townhomes in the south bay area of Los Angeles and have seen one multi-story townhome with a master on the first floor and I found it odd. It was especially odd since it was the first door on the right from the entrance. Just seemed strange.

On the other hand, I've seen other places with two bedrooms on the first floor but the master, kitchen, and living room upstairs and this is actually a very nice layout for a townhome.

In terms of single-family homes in Orange County (where I grew up and have seen many of my friends' homes), I've never seen one with the master on the first floor.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Most newer homes have a 1st floor master. I won't buy a home without one. It just makes life a lot easier. Laundry is quicker, and the kid noise isn't so close. It's really a selling point of a home as many buyers won't even look at one that doesn't have it. It's just all around much better.

As far as laundry goes, it's more convenient to have the washer and dryer on the same floor as all the bedrooms. 2nd floor laundry area with all the bedrooms on the 2nd floor is probably more convenient than split between floors. Even more convenient would be a laundry area on each floor.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
It's not something that is common in the midwest. But it was a requirement for me when designing/building my new home. I've got a 2 year old and will start trying for another shortly and people think we're insane wanting to have the master BR on a different floor than the kids. Which I can understand for the first year or two. But infants and toddlers grow up to be teenagers...and I'm not going to be getting any younger. The seperation will be appreciated. We get our space, they get theirs and I don't have to deal with stairs. The dog doesn't have to deal with stairs. Our retardedly huge & heavy dresser set doesn't have to get lugged up there. Our laundry stays on the same floor as the washer & dryer.

We're going to be in the place for a long, long time. I'm thinking 10-15-20 years down the road and what I'll want. Not the next two years.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
It will be a requirement for my next home. As people have said, having the laundry near the bderooms is a must. Also, having the kids bedrooms in a separate area of the house is very nice.

I plan to build this in the next few years:
427-4e-1493.jpg

427-4mf-1493.jpg

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
It will be a requirement for my next home. As people have said, having the laundry near the bderooms is a must. Also, having the kids bedrooms in a separate area of the house is very nice.

I like your floor plan with the exception of the kitchen. Aside from the 'open kitchen concept' which should DIAF, a doorway into the kitchen close to the entrance to the mudroom/laundry would be helpful.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
I like your floor plan with the exception of the kitchen. Aside from the 'open kitchen concept' which should DIAF, a doorway into the kitchen close to the entrance to the mudroom/laundry would be helpful.

There already is a doorway from the mud room to the kitchen (or right next to it). What don't you like about open kitchens?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
There already is a doorway from the mud room to the kitchen (or right next to it). What don't you like about open kitchens?
one accidentally burnt meal (or a night of indian cooking) is going to stink up the whole house.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
The door way to the kitchen from the mudroom is at the end of the room rather than immediately to the right of the mudroom entrance.

Open kitchen concepts evolved for one reason so mothers could keep an eye on their kids. 'But, everyone likes to gather in the kitchen!'

The first reason may have some merit but, there is a lot of technology around to keep from having to design an entire room for one purpose that may or, may not, be an important one to you.

The second one is true but, the idea that you have to merge or decorate your kitchen to fit in with the living area is just silly. Granted, my viewpoint is surely skewed from my viewpoint as a Chef.

Kitchens have a utilitarian purpose first and function as a gathering spot second. I would much rather have a kitchen closed off from the living areas much as was the norm in the 20's and 30's. The problem with many "modern" kitchen designs is that they squish the kitchen into a corner to give the homeowner a 'dining room' that is almost never utilized.

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
I would not like it. I prefer having my mater bedroom on the upper floor. If some murderer breaks into my house maybe they'll go for the guests/kids on the 1st floor first, giving me a few precious seconds to escape.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Kitchens have a utilitarian purpose first and function as a gathering spot second. I would much rather have a kitchen closed off from the living areas much as was the norm in the 20's and 30's. The problem with many "modern" kitchen designs is that they squish the kitchen into a corner to give the homeowner a 'dining room' that is almost never utilized.

There's my problem. It's not the 20's or 30's. It's 2010. Many families have two parents that work. When my wife and I come home and we have to cook dinner it's nice having the family area/eat in area open where the one who isn't cooking can sit at the table/counter with our daughter and read books or color and still have a conversation with the person cooking.

The last thing I want to do while working all day is coming home and closing myself back into a corner of the house away from my family and cooking. That's what I have to do in the rental home I'm living in now(which was coincidentally built in the 30's) while my other place is built. And I hate it.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
It still will anyway even if it's a "not open" plan.
seems like it would be a lot worse than if you had a close kitchen and an exhaust fan over the stove.

all I have over my kitchen door in my apartment is a curtain and I can tell the difference between when I'm cooking with it closed and not.